Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that the situation OP describes is probably an example of state law overriding federal HIPAA requirements.

For example, here’s an HHS info page that says that parents have access to their minor child's medical records except under certain circumstances (one of which is state law):
    https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profes...ney/index.html

And here’s what the risk management folks have to say, specifically for N.C. — note the exceptions for legally emancipated minors (I’m not sure if every state uses this term) and for specific kinds of health care:
    https://www.medicalmutualgroup.com/ic-nc-minors

My guess is that — like so many other things — it depends. But OP's experience does not seem to be universal.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Oh, yes. I understand adult kids can stay on insurance. But they are also adults who COULD get their own. It seems a little weird that minors who can't get their own can control their health care but not be responsible for the bills.

I agree 12 sounds really young. That's only 6th grade for a lot of kids.
    Right?? If the parent is held financially responsible then the parent should have to give approval for any Dr visits.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We don't have that here either. Can't she just sign a form to allow you to do some things? My husband did so that I can make/change his appointments, get his test results, fill prescriptions, etc. He runs out of time for that so I do it all. No issue.
    Kris

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a fellow California with Kaiser health insurance and have run into exactly the same problem. My favorite is when we have an upcoming appointment but I can't see it through the system. I have to drive him there, I have to pay for the appointment but I can't SEE when it is. It is frustrating. However, a PP is correct. All you have to do is ask for a form that gives you permission to see his records and then you'll be able to do it. So now I can see his appointments, his immunizations, and have access to his doctors again!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How do you feel about this? HIPAA rules for kids 12-17....

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'm a fellow California with Kaiser health insurance and have run into exactly the same problem. My favorite is when we have an upcoming appointment but I can't see it through the system. I have to drive him there, I have to pay for the appointment but I can't SEE when it is. It is frustrating. However, a PP is correct. All you have to do is ask for a form that gives you permission to see his records and then you'll be able to do it. So now I can see his appointments, his immunizations, and have access to his doctors again!
    Thanks! Why didn’t the customer service rep tell me this?! She told me of a few work arounds for things using my own portal, but not that I could sign a form to get access to the medicals. I also figured that when she is thirteen I will set up her portal myself using a different email.

If I have some time later I will try and do more research on this for us California citizens. I haven’t had much luck yet finding the reason and when it took effect.

Kaiser only sends us eobs for DH’s monthly chiropractic adjustments as everything else is usually covered.....the joy of an hmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I am a social worker/behavioral health therapist and once a kid reaches age 14 in my state, they have to give permission for me to talk to their parents about anything that does not involve immediate danger. I have not met one 14 year old who schedules their own appointments (although I have had a 15 year old and many a few years older who sought therapy independently and parents would not have been supportive), so I generally ask them if they can sign a release for scheduling of appointments at a minimum. I also highly encourage they allow their parents to participate when that is indicated.
    Yes I think we're in the same state but have to sign a release once DD turned 14 to talk about her care.

I'm in MA and it's like that too. In the patient portal for our ped. office, I have full access to all information for DS2 (age 11), but very limited for DS1 (age 14). I couldn't even see his appointment times online. DS1 needs his own account to have access to everything.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just read info on our patient portal and it said the portal is limited for parents once a child is 12. I hope I am able to have DD sign a paper, as others describe, in order to keep full access. I think it also said you had to be 18 to have your own account? I think 12 is awfully young for limiting parent viewing. 15 or 16 makes more sense. I'm in Ohio fwiw.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I won’t have a 12 year old until next year so no first hand experience. But I am amazed the law allows this since kids are not suppose so to be able to sign anything legally binding until they are 18. I understand this is different but what happens if 12 year old makes appointment, does not tell parent and does not show up? Do they go after 12 year old for cancellation fee? They can’t, right since 12 year can’t legally be held accountable? How can they go after parent for fee if they did not even know about appointment?

I had DD had well visit today and saw a friend who said it was the first time her child went into appt on his own and he is 15 so maybe that is the threshold for our state. I do think at some point children should have control but not at 12!

That’s crazy on so many levels. In general, 12 year olds can’t get themselves to doctors appointments let alone pay for them. I can completely understand having some sort of confidentiality about certain medical issues (like birth control) as kids get older. I go in for DD’s belated 12 year appointment in June, and we will see what happens then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast