Default Sport Parent Behavior

DS2 plays on a rec soccer team in our county. Decent group of boys and parents. We're on it because I know the coach and not many other family members. This is our fourth season with them. The boys are mostly 10. There's a family I try to avoid sitting by because they constantly whine about the referee calls (mostly lack of them). I think it sets a bad tone for the game and DS1 referees A LOT and it is a hard job. 95% of the time these rec refs are teenagers doing the best they can.

So today, DS1 plays a soccer tournament game. It is against whiny-no-call-family's older son. Their older son was super aggressive and mouthy the entire game. My DS1 was defending him so I was watching. Not clean play. Mouthy enough, the referee warned him and finally yellow carded him solely for his mouth. This is U14 soccer and the referees did a good job of keeping an aggressive game in line.

For all their griping about 4th grade soccer roughness they had no issue with it for 8th grade. UGH.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Welcome to the world of soccer parents. We play club soccer and there always seems to be that ONE parent ( or a couple) I've seen some bad refereeing LOL we had our ( then) u9 coach get kicked out of the game for mouthing off to a ref. Most are good people but sometimes. We have refs who call every little thing then some who don't call enough and I worry about kids getting hurt from flying elbows high kicks and tripping from behind. But it is what it is.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My son's U6 team had a parent who would yell at his son to "kick butt" and "be aggressive Ds." His kid was afraid of the ball for the first few games. These were all 3v3, no ref, no scores, no goalie basic rec games. He was just awful and I'm glad we left him behind at the end of that season. ETA: Whoops, half my post cut off.
    I was going to say, I feel your pain and hope you're able to escape them soon. I really dislike when parents are rude to the young, obviously new to the job refs and am glad to hear that their ODS was yellow carded. It can be miserable playing against kids like that.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).