Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone remember this game??

Ok, so this is a long shot, but...

when I was a teenager (so in the late '90s early '00s) a friend of mine brought a game on a road trip that I just loved, but didn't get the name of. It was a mystery game where there was a crime (always a murder, I think) and then some clues were given and you had to try to solve the crime with that information. It didn't really have any pieces...just scenario cards. Anyone ever played anything like this? TIA!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

the travel version of Clue maybe?

No, not clue!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

As a kid I loved the board game whodunit which I don't think is what you are describing because it definitely had a board and pieces. But googling to confirm the name of that game lead me to another called whodunnit which could maybe be what you are describing: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9239/whodunnit
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

You might be thinking of a game that was called, I think, Mastermind.* It was basically a rectangle box of cards, each with a different scenario and usually involving death. One person knew the answer and everyone else asked yes/no questions until the answer could be deduced. So the group would be told something like, "A person is inside a locked room with no windows. There is a rope, a ceiling fan, and a puddle on the floor. How did s/he die?"
    Does that sound familiar?
    *The last version I saw was a black box with purple electricity/lightening streaks on it. There is another game with the same name and its all I am finding in my searching.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    you might be thinking of a game that was called, i think, mastermind.* it was basically a rectangle box of cards, each with a different scenario and usually involving death. One person knew the answer and everyone else asked yes/no questions until the answer could be deduced. So the group would be told something like, "a person is inside a locked room with no windows. There is a rope, a ceiling fan, and a puddle on the floor. How did s/he die?"
    does that sound familiar?
    *the last version i saw was a black box with purple electricity/lightening streaks on it. There is another game with the same name and its all i am finding in my searching.
    this is it!!! Thank you!!!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

You're very welcome. I used to play with DH on long road trips or when hiking together. I don't currently own it so I can't tell you more about it, but it turns up semi-regularly at thrift stores, IME.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

That's funny. The Mastermind I remember, and which our family won as a prize a few years ago, is differnet. It's a deduction game, but you try to figure out a code using pegs of different colors. Your opponent comes up with different patterns using the colored pegs, and you can indicate whether they ahve the right color, wrong position or right color, right position. You use eliminiation and logic to figure out which is which and guess the code.

No murders, cards, or scenarios involved in my Mastermind. Were there two games with the same name?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    That's funny. The Mastermind I remember, and which our family won as a prize a few years ago, is differnet. It's a deduction game, but you try to figure out a code using pegs of different colors. Your opponent comes up with different patterns using the colored pegs, and you can indicate whether they ahve the right color, wrong position or right color, right position. You use eliminiation and logic to figure out which is which and guess the code.

No murders, cards, or scenarios involved in my Mastermind. Were there two games with the same name?
    This also the only Mastermind I've ever played. The description of the game the OP asked about sounds like MindTrap to me. We had a version in a black and purple box in the late 90s.
    Last edited by m4nash; 05-11-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast