Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I hate you Marco Polo and yes, I'm Scrooge

DH's extended family is very fun and very close. They've discovered the Marco Polo app. Everyone from grandparents to cousins just loves to send each other silly pointless messages in funny voices. I cannot STAND this app. I can't watch these videos created just to be funny (that usually aren't). I can't keep up on it. I am missing out, apparently, and people are sending me messages but I just can't. I'm deleting the app.

But here's some fun for all and proof of the dysfunction of my family. So tonight I'm helping DS1 with his science fair project. He's testing how well different materials absorb oil in an oil and water solution (as related to research for cleaning up oil spills). One such material is HAIR. So we're going around collecting hair to use. So much fun. Meanwhile apparently DH and DS2 are recording. I didn't know this. I just thought they were looking at DH's phone. Now there is a Marco Polo of me brushing DS2's hair and talking to him totally not aware that anyone is filming me. Because it is recorded live and nobody tells me this. I feel like I no longer have privacy in my home and I'm mad about it. DH thinks I'm the boorish one because I "interrupted their special time".

Ugh. I know everyone is having fun. Like I mentioned, I feel a bit like a "scrooge" bah humbugging everyone else but could this app just please go away? Do I just have to expect that I'm being recorded at any given time now?

And DH and I are kind of fighting and we both feel like the other person is in the wrong.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You are totally not a scrooge!

One of the most important rules we and the schools here have is that you NEVER take pictures of someone without permission, and you NEVER post a picture without permission. I would be livid. Your DH is teaching them that it is OK to do those things.

So glad that app has not made it here (or at least I am blissfully ignorant), though I am sure it is coming.

As an aside...I totally opened this thread thinking it was about the pool game, which I hate for other reaseons, lol.
    Last edited by o_mom; 05-11-2018 at 06:42 AM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never heard of the app either, but I would be MAD if my husband did that to me.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    You are totally not a scrooge!

One of the most important rules we and the schools here have is that you NEVER take pictures of someone without permission, and you NEVER post a picture without permission. I would be livid. Your DH is teaching them that it is OK to do those things.

So glad that app has not made it here (or at least I am blissfully ignorant), though I am sure it is coming.

As an aside...I totally opened this thread thinking it was about the pool game, which I hate for other reaseons, lol.
    I agree. I think secretly videoing or photographing is a bad thing to be teaching kids. They need to know you can't just video anyone at any time, because you really just can't.

I even agree about the pool game
    Kris

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yuck! Yeah, they need a talking to about videoing secretly. That is very clearly something kids can and do get into big trouble for. It has happened frequently at my kids' school and the video-ers were in trouble for cyber-bullying and the school took it seriously, even though it was supposed to be "in good fun".

A parent shouldn't be encouraging that at all. I'm on your side OP!

He thinks it's unreasonable to not want to be recorded without permission? I'm really kind of speechless. I send tons of videos to family, but I wouldn't record live without permission! Agree with PP that it's not something kids should be encouraged to do.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 05-11-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: left out some words.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Apparently they had just pushed “record” when I walked in an started talking to them and brushing DS2s hair. So it wasn’t like they were trying to secretly record me. I just don’t get why they didn’t push stop. And then there’s the fact that they’re not apologetic at all. How dare I interrupt their important Marco Polo messaging experience to work on DS1s project! Serves me right is what DH is acting like.

I’m mad that the app is invading my home. I kinda let my hair down at 9 pm in my own home. It very much upset me that I was transmitted live.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree. This is a bad thing to be modelling to kids - I laid into parent and kid both when he took video on the bus of DD2 and friend and threatened to put it on Facebook.

Everyone deserves privacy in their own home.

I also think that even if it was DH, that recording someone without consent (usually conversations) in some states is illegal.

It's absolutely a violation of privacy to film someone without their consent. And in this day and age, it's imperative to drill that into kids! Especially into impulsive teen boys. CONSENT in every situation is important!

I hate the pool game but I would be enraged to be secretly filmed for something that I previously said I didn't like. Not funny.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast