Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default HYPERthyroidism?

So I went for my 2nd weekly iron infusion out of 8 today. I had blood work done on Friday and got my results today. My TSH is low at 0.01 and my T4 Free is high at 2.2. This points towards hyperthyroidism. My mom has Hashi's and 2 of her brothers have thyroid issues as well (hypo). The hematologist is sending me for a thyroid ultrasound on Friday. The only symptom that I've had that seems hyper is a racing heartbeat, which I just assumed was from my low iron. Has anyone had similar thyroid numbers before and not had hyperthyroidism? If you were hyper, what were your symptoms? I was seeing an endocrinologist for a year after my miscarriage in 2014, but my thyroid numbers were always ok, including the thyroid ultrasound I had back then.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    So I went for my 2nd weekly iron infusion out of 8 today. I had blood work done on Friday and got my results today. My TSH is low at 0.01 and my T4 Free is high at 2.2. This points towards hyperthyroidism. My mom has Hashi's and 2 of her brothers have thyroid issues as well (hypo). The hematologist is sending me for a thyroid ultrasound on Friday. The only symptom that I've had that seems hyper is a racing heartbeat, which I just assumed was from my low iron. Has anyone had similar thyroid numbers before and not had hyperthyroidism? If you were hyper, what were your symptoms? I was seeing an endocrinologist for a year after my miscarriage in 2014, but my thyroid numbers were always ok, including the thyroid ultrasound I had back then.

I gotta ask him about it but DH is hypo with some hyper symptoms. He had the start of a goiter and he has protruding eyes, doesn't tolerate heat well, etc. But he takes synthroid and sees an endo for low thyroid. I don't know if that helps. I just know that this kind of thing happens not too infrequently!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was diagnosed hyperthyroid with an enlarged thyroid gland a few years ago. I had the racing heart, but no weight loss (unfortunately) All other studies were normal except my labs, and I was started on atenolol to lower my heart rate and methimazole to slow down the thyroid production. I only needed the atenolol for a few weeks, and was tapered down and off the methimazole over a year. I have had normal thyroid tests since, although I always have had cold intolerance. My symptoms and results never pointed to a specific condition, so the endo says it may come back since they can't figure out what triggered it, so my primary has TSH as part of my annual labs.
    mom to Billy 12/07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’m hypo but if I have too much synthroid I go into hyper with the racing heart beat. Neither hyper or hypo is healthy long term, so you need to get it looked at and figure out why and get treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

After I gave birth to DD1, I had a mild case of hyperthyroidism for several months (it went away without meds). It's all a bit fuzzy now, but I think my doctor had told me to wait and see, since it may have been caused by hormone imbalance or something.

My main symptoms were that I was cold and hungry all the time. Despite the fact that I was eating a ton of food all the time, I was losing a lot of weight quickly. After a few months, the symptoms went away, and I gained all the weight back.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

So my thyroid ultrasound was normal. Not enlarged and no nodules. The hematologist is going to have me repeat the thyroid labs on Friday and if they're still abnormal she'll refer me to an endocrinologist. The one weird symptom I've been having for months is extremely itchy skin and scalp, especially at night. When I get out of the shower I get super itchy as well. I've taken Zyrtec and Claritin and they do nothing. I also get hives easily. I've been reading and itchy skin can also be a sign of hyperthyroidism apparently.

For those that were hyper, did anyone have itchy skin? I've had extremely itchy skin and scalp for the past several months. So much so that it makes it hard to sleep sometimes. No creams or antihistamines have helped. I also get hives easily.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was diagnosed as Hyperthyroid a few years ago with similar lab results. Ultrasound was also normal, and it all resolved on its own after a couple of months. My Endo said that it was likely thyroiditis from a previous (unknown) illness that attacked my thyroid. I just came in for blood tests every two weeks to see if my levels would normal out on their own. My only symptoms were weight gain (ugh, only 10% of people that are hyper will gain, not lose weight) and also difficulty concentrating. My thoughts were often racing so I had a hard time getting to sleep and being able to focus. The whole experience was kind of odd, as I had not been sick and had never had thyroid issues.

I did not have itchy skin, but ironicallly I do have that problem now and it is driving me crazy. If you find out it is thyroid related, I may need to get tested again!

I have Hashis, and have the itchy skin, as well.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My mom who had hypo for years (she had to take meds from the time she was 16-30) and then later (just this past year) had Cushings Syndrome due to a growth on her pituitary gland (could’ve had that for as long as 15 years without knowing....very hard to diagnosis especially since she went through menopause at that time and didn’t have a period) and she always had psoriasis until recently (once the pituitary growth was removed) so yes I bet the dry and itchy skin is related to the thyroid issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast