Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Math path. Would like opinions, please

DS2 is in 4th. At the beginning of the year, they moved him to 5th grade math. This rarely happens so there isn't really a set plan for what happens next. So, I need to figure things out.

He did place into the 6th grade accelerated math class for next year. My older 2 did that route and we are happy with it so far. This path goes:
    accelerated math > algebra 1 > geometry > algebra 2 > Pre Calc > Calc AB > IB Math HL
    That gets through 12th grade. If DS2 does this, he'll finish in 11th grade instead.

My options that I see so far are:
    1. Put him in 6th grade accelerated. He can take the bus to the middle school with DS1 and DD. They will bus him to his elementary. He would not miss any elementary class. This makes him have a school day of 7:30-4:00, 4 days a week. The 5th day is only elementary, due to the schedules at the middle school, so 9-4. He does a few after school activities that go to 5 or 5:30pm. He does not do evening activities at this point.

2. Put him in 6th grade regular at the middle school. He could then do accelerated in 6th and be back with his peers. The hours are the same as above.

3. Put him in 6th grade regular math using our online academy. He could do this during math at the elementary, but likely would not have much teacher help since the teacher would be doing math with the rest of the class. He'd then do the accelerated starting in 6th grade and be with his peers.

Some of my concerns:
    -Calculus in 10th grade? It's such a different math, I worry that he won't quite grasp it at that young of an age.

-The long day if he goes to the middle school. With the after school activities, he'd have days of 7:30-5:30 a couple times a week. Plus bus time in the morning. But, he'd have elementary time to get math homework done, so less homework at night.

-He's on the younger side. We have crazy red-shirting here it seems. He is a July birthday. I know there will be kids who are 12-12.5 starting 6th grade and he'll have just turned 10. I know 2 kids who did the accelerated path in the past, and both were red-shirted for their grades.

Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on how to make this decision? I've talked with a few people at both schools and have their ideas, but it comes down to me and DH. DS2 says he wants to do the accelerated class next year.

Thanks!
    Kris

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What do they cover in 6th grade accelerated vs 6th grade regular?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    What do they cover in 6th grade accelerated vs 6th grade regular?
    I'm not sure what is 6th grade regular, really. Accelerated basically skips the 6th grade and does 7th and pre-algebra.
    Kris

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Something to consider is that he would still need to do a math his senior year. Colleges like to see 4 years of math in high school. I’m sure there is something he could do virtually that year but just something to consider.

I generally feel there is no rush as long as he will get to Calculus; but you have to balance that with him being challenged and enjoying math.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just curious, but are you choosing to accelerate him because he's not challenged enough in regular math and he's ready to move on? It seems odd that he would finish all of his math classes before his senior year of high school, however, I know nothing of accelerated math classes so I don't know if that's standard or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Something to consider is that he would still need to do a math his senior year. Colleges like to see 4 years of math in high school. I’m sure there is something he could do virtually that year but just something to consider.

I generally feel there is no rush as long as he will get to Calculus; but you have to balance that with him being challenged and enjoying math.
    There are some electives he could take. AP Statistics, for example. I believe he'd have a class senior year at the school, but I am double checking that.

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    Just curious, but are you choosing to accelerate him because he's not challenged enough in regular math and he's ready to move on? It seems odd that he would finish all of his math classes before his senior year of high school, however, I know nothing of accelerated math classes so I don't know if that's standard or not.
    It started out as wanting to challenge him a bit and not have him bored. DD was bored and wound up with a horrible 4th grade year because of it. Tears at homework time, etc. I wanted to avoid that and his 4th grade teacher noticed that he appeared bored. He has had to take all the 4th grade tests this year to be sure he didn't miss something, and he's only missed 1 or 2 questions total, all year. Generally, he's had 100% on the pre-tests.

I'd been pushing for something to be given to kids like mine who need to be pushed a little, but nothing has been done. In September, skipping this year was offered, so we took it. It has greatly improved his attitude towards math, which was my goal. But now we aren't sure where to go.
    Kris

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Keep him in the accelerated program. Like one of the PP said there has to be an AP class he can take in there someplace. DS3 has several AP options he can chose from. I would NOT put him in the standard math classes he will get bored and that's never good.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS1 is taking AP Calc BC in 10th grade. He loves math, and I can't imagine holding him back from accelerated math classes.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If he's ready for accelerated math now, put him in it now. If in 10th grade he's not ready for whatever class it is then, don't put him in that class then. He's not programmed on a path. If acceleration no longer is a good fit when he is older, re-evaluate at that time. But holding him back now could create its own set of problems.

It is easier to cut back and not take accelerated classes later than to try to catch up.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Math path. Would like opinions, please

You can also ask about getting high school credit in middle school. My daughter had that option this year in eighth grade. We opted to not take the credit for a few different reasons but in her case, she is on track for calculus as a senior so she will be doing four years of math anyways. If she was on track to “run out of math” early, I would have had her take the credit this year so she would have four years of math on her transcript.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast