diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default basketball for kids..

my kids ages 6 and 9 want a basketball. specially the 6yo. is this good one to start with--

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

also we dont have a hoop and dont want one right now, we will move soon. A park very close to us has a basketball hoop, its for adults. That will be too high for our kids right? any other ideas other than dribbling...to use the bb

Edited: Sorry! just read you didn't want any kind of hoop.
    Last edited by specialp; 05-16-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well that one will be hard to lose! I'd recommend one that comes with a small hand pump because basketballs lose air easily then won't bounce well. Spaulding is the brand most kids use. A 10 foot high hoop will be a challenge for the 6 year old. Check parks and rec gyms. Some keep one hoop lower for younger kids or can lower it on request.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    my kids ages 6 and 9 want a basketball. specially the 6yo. is this good one to start with--

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

also we dont have a hoop and dont want one right now, we will move soon. A park very close to us has a basketball hoop, its for adults. That will be too high for our kids right? any other ideas other than dribbling...to use the bb
    That is the one my DD has and she likes it and we have only had to put air in it once over 2 years. We got it at Walmart for 10 bucks.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're going to get a ball and they want to play, I highly recommend a portable hoop thst is adjustable in height, you can take it with you when you move. (of course you need to have a spot for it.) . Our hoop provides hours of fun for my DS and has since he was about 7. It's nice to hear the ball bouncing all the time. Yes the one at the park will be too tall for them. I often see them advertised in nextdoor really cheap you could even put out a "looking for" ad.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At 9, a ten foot hoop (regular size) is fine. A 6 year old can go either way. So the park is great place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think that ball will be fine. We had Wilsons when I was a kid & they held up as well as any.

As for the hoop, when I was in kindergarten, we played on the high school hoops in gym class (K-12 all on one campus, with one gym. Sometimes the high school kids were even in the gym playing with us!) & in "little league", so I don't think it's too early to start them on a regulation height hoop at the park.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

FWIW, my kids only play basketball in our driveway. No competitive players here. But I think anything is fine for a first basketball They can dribble and pass...the adult hoop is probably a bit high (especially for the younger one) but they can try...it's just for fun anyway

We also bought a portable, height adjustable hoop that we really like. We moved it 2 years ago, no big deal (at least not for the movers). I thought about putting in a permanent hoop at this house but it turns out we've moved it around to different parts of our driveway and having one that can move has been perfect.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To practice accuracy of baskets, what about using a trash can as a basket, placing it at one end of the driveway, and practicing throwing the ball into it?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.