Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I don’t know anyone on the PTA. And honestly, I think most of the other parents are ok with the junk. I’ve never heard anyone complain, but I’m going to start asking around. We are getting a new principal and PTA president next year, so I am hoping there will be some changes for the better, but we’ll see. Baby Bargains
    In my experience, sometimes it does not take much to bring a change to a school. Depends on the administration, but if you have a reasonable idea and you present it clearly, sometimes you can make a change.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've had YEARS of problems with this with older DD who is now 10. Started in K. One year it was so bad that I realized over the course of a couple months she spent like $70 on junk. We made a chore chart with $ assigned to each chore and made her work off the $70. I've also cut off her account and made her bring cash only.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I've had YEARS of problems with this with older DD who is now 10. Started in K. One year it was so bad that I realized over the course of a couple months she spent like $70 on junk. We made a chore chart with $ assigned to each chore and made her work off the $70. I've also cut off her account and made her bring cash only.
    I’m sorry, I just have to say I think you’re just rad for doing that!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Our school doesn't let kids buy snacks or extra chocolate milks until they are older, definitely not K.

I feel like they can buy extra white milk or extra entree (breakfast and lunch) or fruit, but not junk snacks.

Starting first year of middle school, they can buy "a la carte items" which does include junk, but parents can turn it off if its a problem. Then after that, I think they are on their own.

ETA - it always makes me wonder when schools talk about unpaid lunch balances, how much of it is junk the kid bought without the parent knowing and how much is for meals? I mean, for some family budgets, $70 for junk is unacceptable! I've talked to my kids about water. I don't want them buying $1 waters when we have plenty of water bottles lying around and the school has plenty of water bottle filling stations.
    Last edited by khm; 05-18-2018 at 03:01 PM.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Well....I'd just tell her that it's wasteful to throw away food (it costs you money, and it adds unnecessary garbage, not to mention the time it took you to prepare the lunch) and go back to just having her buy lunch every day - just tell her it's easier for you. I've totally done that with my kids...sometimes the only option is whatever is easiest for the parent.

And then you can give her cash as a reward for good behavior to buy a snack...but only you get to decide when! Say she did a great job with her reading homework for a week - on Friday she gets cash that she can spend on a snack.

Otherwise, just have her buy school lunch for now (assuming she CANNOT purchase a snack unless she has cash in hand).
    This would be my solution also.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    My kids are not allowed to throw out what they do not eat at lunch if they packed lunch. I like knowing what they did or didn’t eat. After more information in your case I would either have your DD buy lunch every day and make a notation on her account that she can not use it for snacks; or pack her lunch every day and shut down the lunch account. Our school has snack day once a week when kids can get a small soft pretzel or whole grain cookie.
    This. I want to see what they eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    It’s all junk, I hate it! Fruit roll ups, chips, Cheetos, crap like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I can’t believe an elementary school allows this! I would definitely get involved in a policy change. IMO, a 7 year old is not capable of making good decisions where snacks are involved, especially one with ADHD. Heck, my high school senior with ADHD was not capable of making good decisions, and that continued into college. I put money into all of the kids accounts at the same time, and I only replenished once a month. Either spend wisely, or learn to pack a lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    This. I want to see what they eat.

I can’t believe an elementary school allows this! I would definitely get involved in a policy change. IMO, a 7 year old is not capable of making good decisions where snacks are involved, especially one with ADHD. Heck, my high school senior with ADHD was not capable of making good decisions, and that continued into college. I put money into all of the kids accounts at the same time, and I only replenished once a month. Either spend wisely, or learn to pack a lunch.
    Adults make lousy choices with snacks and portions and why America is fatter than ever! I wouldn’t be upset at the kid. And hope the sizes are small at least (small size Cheetos maybe) but try and get rid of the worst items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4