Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I would hate that policy too. If you could lock it down at the school so that she could only get, as a PP expressed, a cheese sandwich if she had no money--in other words if she was actually HUNGRY she could get sustenance from school--but no other snacks or food then that's what I'd do. I honestly don't know that I'd want to support a program that offers such crummy snacks. And admittedly, I'm biased against school lunch but only because the only school lunches I've ever seen have been repugnant. If you are ok with school lunch, that's another option, provided she doesn't just use her lunch money to buy snacks because that doesn't really fix the problem! I like what a PP said about possibly trying to enact change at the school level. I'm kind of amazed that a school would offer those choices to kids for purchase.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am confused by this whole purchase of snack thing? Is the school cafeteria open all day that kids can go to willy nilly to buy junky snacks?

Are you sure that your DD doesn't need a snack? Is there a designated snack time that you could send something healthy assuming she needs a snack and if there is not a designated time can you send her a shelf stable healthy snack for when she needed it?

My DDs school allows the kids to have snacks that they bring from home and eat at a designated time in the classroom (about an hour before lunch). If a snack is not brought from home they don't get a snack as the cafeteria is only open during lunch.
    Last edited by babyonway; 05-17-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by babyonway View Post
    I am confused by this whole purchase of snack thing? Is the school cafeteria open all day that kids can go to willy nilly to buy junky snacks?

Are you sure that your DD doesn't need a snack? Is there a designated snack time that you could send something healthy assuming she needs a snack and if there is not a designated time can you send her a shelf stable healthy snack for when she needed it?

My DDs school allows the kids to have snacks that they bring from home and eat at a designated time in the classroom (about an hour before lunch). If a snack is not brought from home they don't get a snack as the cafeteria is only open during lunch.
    They can buy the junk at lunch time. I guess extras would be a better term than snacks.
    Her lunch time is early. There is snack time in class in the afternoon, but that is sent in her backpack. They can’t go to the cafeteria to purchase something for class snack time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Our district doesn’t allow extras until middle school. DD is allowed one extra a week. And at age 12, she has enough self control to comply.

In your situation, I’d see if you can effectuate change through the PTO. Thee should be an option for no snacks allowed, only full lunches. Or no junk. Well both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Does your DD have ADHD as well? Giving an impulsive 7 year old the power to buy whatever she wants is a recipe for disaster. I can't believe the school doesn't have more issues with lots of kids! Lying is fairly developmentally normal, and even more so in ADHD. I would discuss why honesty is important and all of that, but I wouldn't take away something unrelated like screen time because it won't help her learn anything from this. It's purely punishment. I would figure out some way for her to earn the money to pay the negative balance.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    My kids are not allowed to throw out what they do not eat at lunch if they packed lunch. I like knowing what they did or didn’t eat. After more information in your case I would either have your DD buy lunch every day and make a notation on her account that she can not use it for snacks; or pack her lunch every day and shut down the lunch account. Our school has snack day once a week when kids can get a small soft pretzel or whole grain cookie.
    I do not let my kids throw away any food at school unless it can't be packaged back up like an opened yogurt stick. I volunteered a lot early on in the lunch room and was upset by how many whole fruits, unopened milks, etc. kids would throw away. I spend a lot of money on quality foods and my kids know I've got zero tolerance for food waste--not waste like when they're full of course. I would ask the school if you can make a note that she can't buy snacks, and it's such a shame they have such junky snacks available---it has to be hard for kids seeing others eating that junk and finding their own lunch lackluster after that. Maybe discuss with your PTA about getting that crap out of your school's cafeteria.
    Last edited by div_0305; 05-18-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly this sounds like a terrible policy. Do you have any friends on the PTO? I don’t think kids should have the opportunity to buy Cheetos in elementary school. We have the extras in middle school and it has caused some problems for some families, but elementary is so early. I would show up at a PTO meeting and complain. We should be trying to set healthy habits early in school.

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    I do not let my kids throw away any food at school unless it can't be packaged back up like an opened yogurt stick. I volunteered a lot early on in the lunch room and was upset by how many whole fruits, unopened milks, etc. kids would throw away. I spend a lot of money on quality foods and my kids know I've got zero tolerance for food waste--not waste like when they're full of course. I would ask the school if you can make a note that she can't buy snacks, and it's such a shame they have such junky snacks available---it has to be hard for kids seeing others eating that junk and finding their own lunch lackluster after that. Maybe discuss with your PTA about getting that crap out of your school's cafeteria.
    My throw away rule is related to non reusable foods. I had several half eaten tuna sandwiches come home and that stinks. She knows to bring home uneaten fruit and stuff like that. The cafeteria manager told me she noted her account that no extra late are allowed. Today I sent in just enough money to cover her negative balance and buy lunch today. I also stapled a note to the money explaining how the money was to be used and ‘No snacks/extras’.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Honestly this sounds like a terrible policy. Do you have any friends on the PTO? I don’t think kids should have the opportunity to buy Cheetos in elementary school. We have the extras in middle school and it has caused some problems for some families, but elementary is so early. I would show up at a PTO meeting and complain. We should be trying to set healthy habits early in school.
    I don’t know anyone on the PTA. And honestly, I think most of the other parents are ok with the junk. I’ve never heard anyone complain, but I’m going to start asking around. We are getting a new principal and PTA president next year, so I am hoping there will be some changes for the better, but we’ll see.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    It’s all junk, I hate it! Fruit roll ups, chips, Cheetos, crap like that!

I would be lobbying the school for healthier snacks, fruit available, one kind of healthier crunchy snack or healthier chip but no fruit roll ups. Easier said than done I know! It is hard because she’s so young and kids do things that aren’t ideal. I would probably not totally get worked up about it but make sure she has a really healthy breakfast and snacks and dinner after school. And honestly, many of the so called “healthier” snacks that many parents list as what they serve their kids are worse or not that better than the crap that is known as junk food. For example, unless people buy plain yogurt, they are giving kids a huge dose of sugar and even the granola and fig bars people post about are just terrible. It would be nice if the snack for sale were cheese sticks and grapes or bananas or apples, but it is harder to stock (spoilage) and less popular. I do hate fruit roll ups though, zero redeeming food value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast