Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE GOT JOB 2 -- new job negotiation help please

Update I got job 2 and am over the moon thrilled! Thanks all!

First of all I know I am super lucky.

I need some new job negotiation help please. Here is the situation. I have 3 active opportunities I am working on.
    Job 1 -- This is the furthest along job opportunity. The CEO wants to finalize compensation discussion Monday. I like and trust the CEO (who I would report into) but it would require a lot of travel and a lot of work/effort to do well here. Salary is more than what I make now and I'd need to negotiate some details.
    Job 2 -- a dream job. Have met with CEO and have another face to face interview on Monday but this job is likely to drag on for a few more weeks. I was told I am the #1 candidate here but we have not discussed salary but have been told by the recruiter they pay very well. Have a call later today to get an update. Big advantage here is low travel and super exciting opportunity.
    Job 3 -- new opportunity popped up. Mixed feelings about this job. Office is local so less travel but managing 100 people which I have not done (yet). Liked the CEO. Have only had one interview. [nixed -- looking for a different experienced person]

I feel like job 1 is moving so much faster (I also started with them so that is also why it is further along). Job 1 is really a great opportunity but I am just not as excited about it as job 2 but it would be a million times better than my current job that I really need to leave asap. Current job is likely to have a layoff soon and I want to get a new job sooner than later. HELP!!
    Last edited by hillview; 06-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would mention to Job 2 that you have an offer for X from Job 1, but Job 2 is your first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I would mention to Job 2 that you have an offer for X from Job 1, but Job 2 is your first choice.
    thanks! I have told all 3 about the others (high level). Job 2 knows I am very interested (have not said they are first choice -- worried about salary negotiation) but they are a HUGE company and are not likely to be super moveable. I should know more later today about their status.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    thanks! I have told all 3 about the others (high level). Job 2 knows I am very interested (have not said they are first choice -- worried about salary negotiation) but they are a HUGE company and are not likely to be super moveable. I should know more later today about their status.
    Once you know what your salary would be from Job 1, you can go to Job 2 and say, Job 1 is offering me in the range of X-Y. You are my first choice and I don't want to rush you but I need to know where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    Once you know what your salary would be from Job 1, you can go to Job 2 and say, Job 1 is offering me in the range of X-Y. You are my first choice and I don't want to rush you but I need to know where you stand.
    Ok I have this range now so I think I will ask the recruiter for job 1 today when he calls me about the range (and not volunteer my current offer range)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Would you not get a package if you were laid off or are you contract? I wouldn't jump into something just from that aspect. Would you really want to travel that much?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Would you not get a package if you were laid off or are you contract? I wouldn't jump into something just from that aspect. Would you really want to travel that much?
    I would not get a package (while it IS a lay off they are not calling it this). I can't be unemployed. I do already travel for work so it is a matter of degrees and something I would negotiate.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you really like Job 2 and that involves less travel would you be willing to take it even if it paid less? Just something to think about.

As I'm job hunting right now, this is the question I'm asking myself. For me, I'd choose option 2, even if it means less pay. There's a lifestyle factor which is huge and if the job's something I'm passionate about it's win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd View Post
    If you really like Job 2 and that involves less travel would you be willing to take it even if it paid less? Just something to think about.

As I'm job hunting right now, this is the question I'm asking myself. For me, I'd choose option 2, even if it means less pay. There's a lifestyle factor which is huge and if the job's something I'm passionate about it's win-win.
    Great question. Yes, I would take job two for a little less I think because the larger benefits are likely to be better (matching 401k etc). The lifestyle thing is a big deal too. SIGH I want to be DONE with all this.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You need to take Job 2. So now your goal should be, what do I need to do to get the best possible offer from Job 2 and to get them to sign on the dotted line fast
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast