Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    hillview's Avatar
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    20,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    You need to take Job 2. So now your goal should be, what do I need to do to get the best possible offer from Job 2 and to get them to sign on the dotted line fast
    yes -- unfortunately job 2 is not as far along as job 1. I will have a final offer next week on job 1 and I am doing a second interview at job 2 next week. I hope job 2 catches up but if it doesn't it is going to be a hard decision.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    yes -- unfortunately job 2 is not as far along as job 1. I will have a final offer next week on job 1 and I am doing a second interview at job 2 next week. I hope job 2 catches up but if it doesn't it is going to be a hard decision.
    Let them know where you are with job 1. The issue that you don’t know if you will definitely get an offer from job 2 as yet. On the other hand, do you really want to be on a job that has a lot of travel? I am in a job that required travel to Europe every month or more for a while and whole I love traveling and love Europe beyond words, and actually enjoyed myself a lot, it was very wearing on my kids, they felt the brunt of it. They didn’t complain, ever, but you could see in their moods and in their grades and in how they were fighting with each other that they were stressed when I wasn’t home.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

  3. #13
    hillview's Avatar
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    20,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Let them know where you are with job 1. The issue that you don’t know if you will definitely get an offer from job 2 as yet. On the other hand, do you really want to be on a job that has a lot of travel? I am in a job that required travel to Europe every month or more for a while and whole I love traveling and love Europe beyond words, and actually enjoyed myself a lot, it was very wearing on my kids, they felt the brunt of it. They didn’t complain, ever, but you could see in their moods and in their grades and in how they were fighting with each other that they were stressed when I wasn’t home.
    I have let them know about job 1 -- will speak with the recruiter again today (for job 2). I currently travel for work (this year india/kuwait and the US) so that isn't new for me but I do think I'd have to travel a bit more -- spoke with the CEO of job 1 and he said it was not as much as I had thought. I agree there is a toll. That said DH is now home full time and so the kids do have a parent available always. SIGH it is so hard.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

  4. #14
    kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW, US
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    What do you think the timeline is for job #2? If it's your dream job, I would try and hold off on a decision with job #1 as long as possible to see if you are also offered job #2.

    I work for a huge corporation and at the most senior levels it will take months to close with a candidate. If that's the case, and your current job is ending, it might be worth taking the bird in the hand (job #1), but generally I'd say job #2 sounds way better.

  5. #15
    squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,332

    Default

    Would you take Job 1 if they offer it? It doesn’t really sound like it. I would just do everything you can to prepare for the 2nd interview with Job 2. Good luck, it is great to have all those options but yes also nerve wracking.

  6. #16
    hillview's Avatar
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    20,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kara97210 View Post
    What do you think the timeline is for job #2? If it's your dream job, I would try and hold off on a decision with job #1 as long as possible to see if you are also offered job #2.

    I work for a huge corporation and at the most senior levels it will take months to close with a candidate. If that's the case, and your current job is ending, it might be worth taking the bird in the hand (job #1), but generally I'd say job #2 sounds way better.
    I think you nailed it. It may take a while for job 2 to come to decision and I can't wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Would you take Job 1 if they offer it? It doesn’t really sound like it. I would just do everything you can to prepare for the 2nd interview with Job 2. Good luck, it is great to have all those options but yes also nerve wracking.
    Yes I would take job 1, it is way better than current job (and pay is 25% more). Thanks! This is nerve wracking for sure!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •