Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Its her. It doesn't matter what she didn't like, its her. I don't know if she's just having a really bad day or something more long term. I'm a therapist and I have had clients describe doing things like that woman did and then feeling really badly about it. I also know many do not feel bad about it.

I have also been on the receiving side of this, like you. Just driving a long, sometimes not doing anything unusual, and someone goes off on me. It is a little hard to shake, and feels like someone has been aggressive against me. It can stick with me a while too, even though I know its not about me and try to go on with my day.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    That's the thing, she pulled out in front of me and started screaming so I thought I would just let her go ahead of me! Literally, there was no one else on the road; no one behind me. In fact the only other car I could even see was the one behind her coming out of the school parking lot. This was mid-morning, not much going on in my little middle of nowhere town! I had NO IDEA what to do. Did she want me to go, did she want to go ahead of me...I had no idea! IF there had been traffic, I would have made a decision, but she pulled out almost into my lane and started yelling! I have no idea what the problem was or what she wanted me to do.

HOWEVER, I "might" have confused her when I stopped, I never thought of that! With no one behind me or even coming up behind me, it never dawned on me to pull in front of her when she was halfway out of the lot... I stopped because I honestly thought she was going to pull out in front of me... Hmm, something to think about...
    Based on this, I would guess she was yelling because she thought you were going to continue driving forward, and thus hit her.

Which still makes her totally in the wrong. She is pulling out of a parking lot onto the street, where you are already driving. You have - unequivocally - the right of way. She essentially has a stop sign, telling her she needs to stop, look for drivers on the road, and wait for them to pass. But there is a whole subset of insane drivers who feel like driving is more of a first come (or even, first to think about it), first served.

Sounds like she thought you were speeding as near a school. Not saying you were. But
    that’s what it sounded like to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Whether you were in the right or wrong... I'm very sorry it shook you up. She sounds like a nutter (or more likely someone having a really bad day with other stuff going on) hollering and yelling at you with kids in her car. Regardless of the situation, it sounds like she overreacted.

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yeah, sounds like she was having an awful day. It's unfortunate that you just happen to be there. I'm sorry Sucks for her kids more, they live with her. If she blows up like that in pubilc, what does she do behind closed doors to her family?
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm so sorry, I know how these things affect me! It really sounds like she was having a super stressful day, about something else. You just happened to cross her path at the exact wrong time.

I will admit this happened to me once. I was stressed to the max re: my husband being laid off and financial stuff. It was that constant unrelenting type stress. A lady changed lanes and nearly hit me, I ended up slamming on my brakes and scraping my wheels into the curb to avoid her. I didn't do anything but honk since we were traveling in the same direction, but inside it was just the last straw. If the incident that been at an intersection where we were facing one another at a standoff, I'm ashamed to say I may have behaved like the OP's other driver, it just all bubbled up in that little stressful nothing traffic moment.

I ended up bawling and shaking the whole way home instead. On a normal day, it would have been a little blip on my radar as a normal traffic near-miss, but during that time that tiny bit of adrenaline just caused the dam to burst. I'm nearly positive that is what happened in your case. Breathe deep and shake it off. (Easier said than done, I know.)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

sorry OP, sounds like no one was really in the wrong but her reaction was off the charts crazy for what you described. She lost it and you just happened to be the one who was on the receiving end of her tirade. I hope you're feeling better about it today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2