Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Please teach me about Facebook Marketplace!

I'm way behind the times, as I've never bought or sold anything on it. We need to sell a nice play set, some furniture, clothes, and shoes, to begin with... any tips on what to do and what not to do? Types of pictures to do, how to price things, etc., etc....

Thanks for helping this newbie!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It’s best to use a local Facebook group instead of Marketplace. In my area there is a sales group for my township and also one for our school district that is more focused on kid items. Ask around as to best group or groups for your area. Post lots of pictures, exact measurements, specify cash only. For furniture specify if they will have to move up or down stairs and if you will help load it. I usually either know a buyer directly or see I have friends in common with them so I am comfortable with them coming to my house; but if you are not have a public meeting place in mind. People will comment on the post that they are interested then private message you to arrange the details.

Inmy area, marketplace isn’t so successful. I usually use my town and town over local sell/buy groups with more success.

However, we needed to get rid of big queen four poster bed with frame. We weren’t interested in gaining money from the sale, just wanted it out of house and many local charity would only take it if broken down and taken to curb. We sold it as zero amount on marketplace with caveat interested people need to come with proper vehicle and man power to carry it out of house into their vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use the private Facebook groups vs the marketplace. But I first list on Nextdoor, does your neighborhood have that? It allows you to pick aa many closer by neighborhoods as you want.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On the local FB groups I belong, "also post in marketplace" is an option and I always do it. I've had several inquiries from the marketplace, but the item has always already sold in the main FB group.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I post in my local groups and then if, after a couple days of no sale, I add Marketplace. I basically gave away a huge desk ($25 for a $400 desk) just because I wanted it out of my garage. I do have stuff leftover from months ago that I still get requests about through Marketplace, so I wonder about how things show up in a buyers feed. The interest is usually someone over 30 miles away for a $5 item, so it hasn't worked out, because they don't want to drive my way.

As for pictures, I think clothing will show better if a photo is taken while hanging, rather than laid out on the floor. Otherwise, 2-3 pics of the furniture and play structure from different angles, and maybe a close up of any damage. Price is much harder to offer you without more details, but I in general go about 25% of my purchase price. I don't sell things that I figure are worth less than $5, as not worth the effort.
    mom to Billy 12/07

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have tried it and it doesn't work at all IMO. People like your post, they respond but never get back to you. I experimented with it, gave up and am going back to CL. I am sort of new to FB, and I am really unimpressed in general.

When we are purging bigger items, I’ve used marketplace it worked better than Craigslist. For kid related, I use our neighborhood kid focused FB group but sold a bed, like
    new foam mattress, dresser and few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I also use local groups. I belong to our small town's sell/trade group and a larger town next to us has one that is mostly kid-gear.

I have looked on marketplace for a used car for my 15 year old daughter and the ads mostly seem scammy. So, I've been avoiding it for cars.

Buying in general, I feel much better using groups since you almost always know them at least tangentially. Selling, I've never had to go out of groups to get something sold. I'm not opposed to trying to sell there, I just have never needed to move past groups.