Thread: Small pool?

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Small pool?

Does anyone have a small pool to just cool off and that they like? Our yard is fenced and I like to sit outside but end up getting super hot.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We now have an in-ground pool. But we used to buy a blow up kiddie pool every spring, to use for that summer. We really liked the bigger ones that are rectangular, about 5'x10', for about $20-25. We liked that they were shallow enough to warm up the water a bit by midday. If the sun was too hot, DH would set up an easy-up canopy over it. That size was big enough for the 4 of us to cool off together, and was a cheap investment each year (they usually wouldn't hold air the second summer we'd try).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours is a small pool, I don't think it's more than 20,000 gallons and is only 5.5 feet at its deepest. Yes, it works GREAT for cooling off...I can do yard work in my swimsuit, and then just go straight into the pool - immediate relief that lasts a while too!

I do wish it were bigger, with a deeper "deep end" now that my kids are old enough and proficient enough to love jumping in and diving. But for the purposes of cooling off, it's great. Many times the kids will walk right in the door from school and go straight into the pool - clothes on and everything It's like hitting the mood reset button on a hot day!

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Ours is a small pool, I don't think it's more than 20,000 gallons and is only 5.5 feet at its deepest. Yes, it works GREAT for cooling off...I can do yard work in my swimsuit, and then just go straight into the pool - immediate relief that lasts a while too!

I do wish it were bigger, with a deeper "deep end" now that my kids are old enough and proficient enough to love jumping in and diving. But for the purposes of cooling off, it's great. Many times the kids will walk right in the door from school and go straight into the pool - clothes on and everything It's like hitting the mood reset button on a hot day!
    Reading with interest as we are putting in a pool! We are going 5 ft at the deepest. I'm not much over 5 ft and didn't think we would use a deep end but maybe we are wrong? The pool isn't huge, maybe 23 ft by 15 ft.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    Reading with interest as we are putting in a pool! We are going 5 ft at the deepest. I'm not much over 5 ft and didn't think we would use a deep end but maybe we are wrong? The pool isn't huge, maybe 23 ft by 15 ft.
    Well, the advantage of a deep end is that you can dive, and that is definitely fun for kids once they're proficient swimmers who like that extra level of "fun". The disadvantage is that for the waders/soakers, a deep end does take away nearly half the surface area of a small pool. Also, in our shallow play pool, even jumping in cannon ball style has to be done pretty carefully - only at the very deepest spot and legs MUST be tucked.

If we had a deep end I'd also keep extra safety equipment within reach - a pole, and life ring. It also means you may never feel comfortable letting your kids swim unsupervised. I know any level of water is dangerous, but right now we're ok with letting our kids swim "sort of unsupervised" - meaning I don't have my eyes on the pool at all times, but remain nearby where I can either see or hear them. Fortunately our house has lots of windows facing the pool from the main rooms of the house.

The other option is to go a bit "in between" - I've swam in pools where the deep end is more like 6-7 feet which does provide more depth for jumping in (but not diving).

Either way, if you have waders, soakers, be sure to incorporate strategic steps! The nicest ones I've seen are larger and extend out into the pool more - great for sitting and hanging out. But yes, will cut into the surface area.

I'd also consider skipping the spa in favor of making the pool larger, unless you're hot tub type of people.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-24-2018 at 05:24 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We put in a pool 10 months ago. Ours is 32x16 and goes to 7 feet deep with an oversized spa jutting out from the middle. I wouldn't want it any less deep. DS2 loves jumping in with his friends and our neighbor girl.

But if our pool was much shorter in length there would be a super steep drop off to get to a depth of 7 feet and it would possibly be not recommended.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)