Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Host etiquette question

I was invited to a party, seems to be potluck. The host's email says, "I was thinking apps, salads, sweets and cocktails. One constraint, please keep anything you bring dairy-free or vegan. Appreciate it!"

So, she suggests stuff to bring but it must be made as she dictates. Why can't we bring what we want, she doesn't have to eat/touch dairy-full or non-vegan, we can take any/all leftovers, and she can prepare her offerings as she'd like?

Um, I think I'm busy?

No really, is this request unreasonable, or am I unreasonable? Curious as to what others think.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s odd. If she has such specific limits, she should probably not make it potluck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is the worst invitation ever, so she is throwing a party, and wants the guests to bring food, but makes it very restrictive (I mean dairy free and vegan eliminates a LOT of foods!). I totally don't mind potluck parties, but unless all the guest are dairy free and vegan, she's being a royal B%^8h!!!! But she ended with "Appreciate it", so it's fine .

I would honestly bring a meat and cheese platter, more for you and the other guests will thank you! Unless she is allergic to airborne dairy I'm sure it''ll be fine.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Bring a bag of sprouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would bring a fruit plate or fruit salad. I agree it's a little weird but there are lots of reasons to eat vegan and I wouldn't fault someone for trying to do that.

I think the invite is rude and tacky. I’d have no issue with a note to the effect that there are several guests with XYZ dietary restrictions should you wish to tailor your food choices to include them, or a request to please label anything that contains nuts/dairy/wheat/whatever but her invite as is- no. I am gluten free due to NCGS and possible allergy but I don’t expect others to cater to my dietary restrictions! I only ask to know what to avoid or if I’m going to a family dinner where there will literally be nothing I can eat (pasta with garlic bread, salad presressed with croutons and gluten containing dressing, and cake for dessert- MIL did this exact dinner once) that they warn me so I know to bring something for myself or eat before. I even serve gluten containing things at my own home when I host for others! Unless it’s a severe contact or inhalation allergy there’s no reason to restrict others.

I wouldn't have worded my potluck invitation like that. I, personally would make the items ie non dairy and vegan items myself to provide at my own potluck and leave it open to everyone invited. Otherwise I would be very surprised if this host gets many people to come her potluck!

so yeah bit rude, IMO. but to each their own.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I wouldn't have worded my potluck invitation like that. I, personally would make the items ie non dairy and vegan items myself to provide at my own potluck and leave it open to everyone invited. Otherwise I would be very surprised if this host gets many people to come her potluck!

so yeah bit rude, IMO. but to each their own.
    I agree. I am vegetarian, mostly vegan, and I would never host a party and expect people to bring foods that cater exclusively to my dietary needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance the host's home is kosher?

We have a kosher home, which means we only use kosher meat, and do not mix meat and dairy (on the same plate, or in the same meal).

If I'm hosting a meal and am making meat, unless I know the guests themselves have a kosher kitchen, I will ask them to please bring something 'Parve', which means that it can't contain meat or dairy. Again, it may be a long shot, but that explanation popped into my head- the restrictions that host mentioned could maybe be her way of asking for something that she can have in a kosher kitchen?
    Last edited by mm123; 05-23-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maybe this is also a regional thing, I live in a Midwest city, not a hick town, but there is no way I can imagine anyone here wording an invitation that way. The polite responses from others in this post are surprising. I found the invitation obnoxious.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast