Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Sounds good! But if you read through the manual, it says no pasta.
    "Be aware that certain foods, such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley, oatmeal or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb, or spaghetti can foam, froth, sputter, and clog the steam release. These foods should not be cooked under pressure cooking settings unless as directed in Instant Pot cooker recipes." p 4, #19 https://instantpot.com/wp-content/up...4-2018-web.pdf
    That's the manual I have.
    "unless as directed" which I see as "make sure you follow specific directions about cooking these foods." Like how with these foods you're never supposed to fill the pot past the halfway mark.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I haven't had any steam-vent problems and I've made a "sloppy lasagna" in mine. (It's good, but oddly bland.)
    Yeah, I don't follow the sloppy lasagna sauce recipe. I make my own meat sauce first.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Sounds good! But if you read through the manual, it says no pasta.
    "Be aware that certain foods, such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley, oatmeal or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb, or spaghetti can foam, froth, sputter, and clog the steam release. These foods should not be cooked under pressure cooking settings unless as directed in Instant Pot cooker recipes." p 4, #19 https://instantpot.com/wp-content/up...4-2018-web.pdf
    That's the manual I have.
    A lot of people, myself included have ignored that. I’ve made DS2 homemade Mac and cheese many times in my IP. I also make my steel cut oatmeal, and applesauce in it without problems too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

OP, as far fro favorite IP recipes. I have several but this one is the whole family’s favorite and make frequently. Like once a week easily.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...le-soup-pho-ga

The other close favorites are my steel cut oatmeal, Unami pot roast from pressure cooking recipes website.

Another recipe that’s on my regular rotation too for DH and boys;

http://www.skinnytaste.com/barbacoa-beef/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    No idea. There are a lot of pasta recipes in the Instant Pot Cookbook (which is kind of like the Set It and Forget It ... series for CrockPots, so recipes are hit-or-miss as far as clarity of writing, etc.) but I'll be the first to admit that I didn't read my instructions booklet super-carefully.

I haven't had any steam-vent problems and I've made a "sloppy lasagna" in mine. (It's good, but oddly bland.)

I do a meat sauce in mine, too. (Basically I use the Giada DiLaurentiis recipe for marinara but add browned turkey to it before setting the pressure cook or slow cook functions, depending on how much time I think I have.)
    Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    "unless as directed" which I see as "make sure you follow specific directions about cooking these foods." Like how with these foods you're never supposed to fill the pot past the halfway mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    A lot of people, myself included have ignored that. I’ve made DS2 homemade Mac and cheese many times in my IP. I also make my steel cut oatmeal, and applesauce in it without problems too.
    lk
    I guess I'm unlucky! The one time I tried to make mac and cheese, it clogged up and sputtered like crazy! That's when I saw that in the manual. O'm glad these work for others because they would be nice to add to my repertoire. Pretty much the IP has been collecting dust in my basement since a few weeks after it was gifted to me though.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here is one of many blog posts I wrote with all my fav recipes: http://bargainbabe.com/favorite-instant-pot-recipes/

And yes pasta does make kind of a mess but I still do it all the time.

I cook pasta in mine all the time.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Doesn't pasta actually take longer in the IP?
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

My favorite recipe is probably salsa chicken, just because it's quick and everyone likes it. Chicken with about 1/3 cup of water, add two jars of your favorite salsa, and cook on high for 12 minutes, NPR. Stir in black beans and corn. Serve.

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Doesn't pasta actually take longer in the IP?
    It's not always a matter of time. With the IP, I can put stuff in, push a button, and go do something else. I don't have to stay at a stove. Regardless, I don't think it takes longer to cook pasta in the IP. Cooking is definitely less time (it's 1/2 the time listed on the pasta box), but maybe coming to pressure takes slightly longer than bringing water to boil.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I guess I'm unlucky! The one time I tried to make mac and cheese, it clogged up and sputtered like crazy! That's when I saw that in the manual. O'm glad these work for others because they would be nice to add to my repertoire. Pretty much the IP has been collecting dust in my basement since a few weeks after it was gifted to me though.
    Do a "controlled release" with mac and cheese. Take a wooden spoon and release the steam in short bursts. And add a bit of oil to the water before you cook. Sometimes it's still a little messy, but it's so easy that it's worth a little extra cleanup. If you're on FB, there's a huge IP group with videos on how to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    It's not always a matter of time. With the IP, I can put stuff in, push a button, and go do something else. I don't have to stay at a stove. Regardless, I don't think it takes longer to cook pasta in the IP. Cooking is definitely less time (it's 1/2 the time listed on the pasta box), but maybe coming to pressure takes slightly longer than bringing water to boil.
    I can make Dad's mac and cheese in the IP more quickly than a box of Annie's. I halve his recipe and use the shredded Mexican blend from Costco. It melts really nicely and my kids like the flavor. https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/press...ni-and-cheese/

Two Sleevers butter chicken is pretty great. https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/
    Last edited by BunnyBee; 05-29-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast