Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    That's a worthwhile reminder. I might see myself coming to the same conclusion, but one thing about travel that I embrace - you never know your own reaction until you do it. I don't usually regret travel even when I'm a little disappointed, because I know I couldn't know that in advance.

My kids give every indication of loving the ocean, but moody teenager claimed a few months ago that she doesn't like the ocean and why didn't we go somewhere cooler. So that was the other reason I thought of Michigan.

I have been all over the place with our vacation plan this year. No one is coalescing on anything. DH has recently started saying he wants to go to Labrador and Newfoundland to see Viking settlements. I told him I saw a documentary, and that was enough for me. When I asked him what he wanted to do in driving distance, he said "Pennsylvania" with no further detail. So I think I have a lot of leeway in steering this family ship towards a better vacation than what DH is coming up with.
    I think it's definitely worth a visit. I don't regret going at all, it was enjoyable, and if it were closer, I'd go again. But from Virginia, it's a long drive.

I think I'm like you, I don't really remember a destination that I thought "well that was a waste." I like seeing different parts of the world.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    If you want something a little warmer and a little closer, you could head for the southern end of Lake Michigan - Saugutuck, Holland, Grand Haven, South Haven. I grew up in Michigan but have only been "up north" a handful of times. My family rented a cottage in Holland every summer on Lake Mackatawa, which connects to Lake Michigan. One of my favorite things in that area is the dune rides in Saugutuck.

I was also going to suggest this, and the water will be warmer. It's also a shorter drive probably. Everything it is closer together, although it may be a little more crowded than being up in the UP.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    although it may be a little more crowded than being up in the UP.
    Just to clarify - the UP is the upper peninsula. "Up north" is the northern part of the lower peninsula - Petoskey, Traverse City, Interlochen, etc. They are VERY different!

Default Summer temps in Lake Michigan and area

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    That's a worthwhile reminder. I might see myself coming to the same conclusion, but one thing about travel that I embrace - you never know your own reaction until you do it. I don't usually regret travel even when I'm a little disappointed, because I know I couldn't know that in advance.

My kids give every indication of loving the ocean, but moody teenager claimed a few months ago that she doesn't like the ocean and why didn't we go somewhere cooler. So that was the other reason I thought of Michigan.

I have been all over the place with our vacation plan this year. No one is coalescing on anything. DH has recently started saying he wants to go to Labrador and Newfoundland to see Viking settlements.
    Just so you know, it's snowing in Nfld this week. Not that it will be in Aug, but I've experienced some pretty nasty weather there over Labor Day. That's a place you definitely want to research the weather on. MI in the summer, not so much. Some nights are cooler than others but it's not much different than the NE. Lots of hot, humid days. Cooler weather and nice breezes on shoreline for the most part.

There are some big storms and you want to watch the water before and after - big waves, dangerous undertow, people die yearly - but just watch the local news. They report on it daily so you'll know when to watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Just to clarify - the UP is the upper peninsula. "Up north" is the northern part of the lower peninsula - Petoskey, Traverse City, Interlochen, etc. They are VERY different!
    Traverse City and the UP are waaay different. UP is more remote and not a vacation spot for families really.
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Traverse City and the UP are waaay different. UP is more remote and not a vacation spot for families really.
    Yes, very different. My family is planning a UP vacation for this or next summer though . Soo locks, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor, etc. Probably not much swimming in the lake though!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Yes, very different. My family is planning a UP vacation for this or next summer though . Soo locks, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor, etc. Probably not much swimming in the lake though!
    Have fun!
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's tough to say. My kids will go swimming year round. Some days it's like bath water, some days it's pretty chilly. We had friends up at the cottage this weekend (about 2 hours south of Sleeping Bear Dunes) and all of the kids were in the water. Age rage was 4-14. It really depends on your family dynamics - our kids will happily play on the beach every day for weeks. We generally don't do day trips when we're up there, the whole point is to unwind and hang out at the beach.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We did a similar trip last summer and loved it. The UP is a different beast, for sure, but lots of fun.

arivecchi is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I find Lake Michigan too cold even in the summer. What do your kids like to do best in the summer? That would help with recommendations.

We have a place far up north in WI and the water is definitely swimmable in August.

In MI, I love Mackinac Island but it is never truly hot there. It is beautiful though. We also went to Saugatuck once and it was nice but we definitely prefer the more relaxed up north vibe to the beach vibe of Saugatuck.

If you do that long of a drive, it might be fun to do a few other destinations in MI besides the dunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast