melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Recommend a bikini top

So I told DH that it is my goal this summer to wear a bikini top when we go on vacation the end of July. Sadly enough I have never worn a bikini. I was always body conscious and I gain my weight in my belly. Always look pregnant without being pregnant. Not cool when you’re a teenager. As I near 42 this year I am finally doing something about it. I don’t have a flat stomach and may never have what I imagine that to be but I’m getting there and feeling better about myself. I have lost over 20lbs this spring. I would like to lose at least 10 more with and ideal 15. That will put me lighter than I have been since high school. But I am also working out so toning all areas of my body.

So can anyone recommend a good, supportive, not too pricey bikini top. I like the bottom I have that I wear with a tankini top. Right now I am a size 10/medium. I am a size 36 C/D in my bras. Dying to get to single digits!
    Last edited by melrose7; 05-29-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: More info

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For supportive swimwear, I love Athleta. Their pieces aren’t inexpensive, but they hold up really well. I have suits I have been wearing for several years, and I live in Florida, where summers are long.

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/produ...&pid=210980042

I have previous seasons’ version of this top, and find it flattering while still keeping the “girls” secure while I chase the kiddos. I also have a couple of their sportier styled tops, which are neither bra sized nor underwire, but still fit like a good sports bra, avoiding the “uniboob” look.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have bikini tops that I wear if I know I'm lying down a lot, if I know I'm sitting a lot, a tankini is my go to, without a flat stomach I like the tankini.

I will say, look for underwire and either a halter style or wider straps for a bikini. Also I find in bikini and swimtops I have to size up, I'm a 34/C and size small shirts/ tops, but wear a 8/10 in swimsuits often. Ones that have bra sizing are better. Victoria's secret used to have the best bikini tops. Try Venus, they have a ton. I hate spending more than 30.00 but that Athleta one looks cute. Make sure whatever you get has padding, nipples can show through easily after you get wet.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also find you have to try on so many to find the right fit, especially if you have a fuller bust. When I find a style that works on buy 2!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for info. I will probably only wear to lay out in the sun and not when I am running around with the kids. I have 7 more weeks to get in better shape but want to buy a top so I can see how it looks now and what I need to do to get in better shape for it.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also swear by Athleta bra sized swim tops. I have several of their tankini's and bikini's and I'm a 30DD. They don't fade and the material really seems to hold up to all the chlorine. They periodically run 20% off swim sales.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think hapari has some nice options. I like bandeau bikini and tankini tops.