SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Olympic National Park- tips? favorites?

We're heading to ONP and are sketching out our itinerary. We have a night in Port Angeles and will be exploring Hurricane Ridge (if the snow has melted by end June) and a whale watching cruise. 2 nights farther down the coast. So not a ton of time but can hit some "highlights". If you've been and your family has particularly loved (or hated) anything, I'm all ears!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Following - it's on my list for next year!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Following - it's on my list for next year!
    Fwiw, we booked our lodging in February and it was already really picked over so start researching and planning by fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Fun!! We visited when I was preggo with DD, so the details are a little fuzzy.

I remember being fascinated by the rain forest (Hoh Valley? I think it was a nice short walk) and the coast at La Push. We wandered on the beach for quite a while - but I think there's a chance of getting stranded so you have to keep an eye on the tide tables. I also remember loving Sequim, though I don't remember exactly why (lavender, probably )

ETA: I just got our pictures out (that was back when I was good about picture albums...). We did a short hike called Marymere Falls at Lake Crescent. We also rented a kayak at Dungeness Spit, and got caught in a snowstorm on Hurricane Ridge - in June! It was one of my favorite trips - hope you have a blast!
    Last edited by gobadgers; 05-29-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    Fun!! We visited when I was preggo with DD, so the details are a little fuzzy.

I remember being fascinated by the rain forest (Hoh Valley? I think it was a nice short walk) and the coast at La Push. We wandered on the beach for quite a while - but I think there's a chance of getting stranded so you have to keep an eye on the tide tables. I also remember loving Sequim, though I don't remember exactly why (lavender, probably )

ETA: I just got our pictures out (that was back when I was good about picture albums...). We did a short hike called Marymere Falls at Lake Crescent. We also rented a kayak at Dungeness Spit, and got caught in a snowstorm on Hurricane Ridge - in June! It was one of my favorite trips - hope you have a blast!
    Thanks for this! We're going in July and staying in Sequim.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's such a great place! We also loved the short hike in the Hoh Valley, and also walking along the beaches along 101 where all the driftwood is - it's spectacular. Also of course Hurricane Ridge. Bring some bird seed or nuts with you - I think that's where we had birds eating out of our hands which was really cool. We were there in April.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Awesome feedback! I only learned about the rain forests maybe 10 years ago and have been itching to visit!! Super excited by the whole trip! We have 2 nights on the beach at Kalaloch Lodge- really looking forward to walking right out our door and exploring tide pools.

My kids would love to get caught in a snowstorm.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't been since 1998, but we stayed in a B&B one night near Forks (Manitou Lodge B&B - this was way pre-Twilight and I actually just had to look up where this place was and was surprised it was in Forks!) and did a day hike on The Hoh River Trail (so beautiful, lots of elk wandering around when we were hiking) and then hiked out to the coast and camped along the coast two nights (La Push area but I don't recall where exactly we were) before heading to Port Townsend (Ravenscroft Inn) for a night before moving onto the San Juans. The coastal camping was so cool. We were surrounded by grazing deer, went to sleep with the barking of sea lions and waves and saw otters, whales and all the great driftwood and kelp along the shore plus the tide pooling was really fun. It is a very different coastal scene than I had been to before and I loved its uniqueness. We didn't go up high into the mountains because it was late fall and we'd just come from a back country trip in Yosemite, but next time I'm there I want to hit that part. Loved it and hope to go back with the kids in the next couple of years now that they are old enough for back country hiking/camping. I'd do a mix of mountains, rain forest and coast hiking and think it would be amazing. All very doable as a day trip with nights in a B&B/hotel. I remember really liking the two B&Bs we stayed at - even though it has been twenty years they are both still up and running and look decent if you are looking for a spot to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Awesome feedback! I only learned about the rain forests maybe 10 years ago and have been itching to visit!! Super excited by the whole trip! We have 2 nights on the beach at Kalaloch Lodge- really looking forward to walking right out our door and exploring tide pools.

My kids would love to get caught in a snowstorm.
    Perfect that you have a spot at the lodge!! Hurricane Ridge should be fine even if some snow is left. Our school hiked it last week and there was snow but fine for a long hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk