Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m shocked they won’t refund the money! I know the company we use would not rerun the book unless we ordered 100 or more copies. But my school would gladly refund the money and let you keep the book.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I'm not thrilled. DH said they were sort of apologetic. I think they actually screwed up kind of a lot of stuff on the yearbook. The admin that was over the yearbook had a major injury this year and is blaming everything on the teacher that runs the yearbook committee. Teachers were also left out of the yearbook--teachers that have worked at the school since its founding! So it is kind of an unqualified disaster. I was thinking I needed a strongly worded letter to the board, but I'm guessing the board is already aware of the issue!

The money was not significant. Honestly, a more robust apology would have been much appreciated. It would have validated both DS1's feelings and ours.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m shocked. As a PTO president I know either we or the school office staff would be so relieved that the only compensation you wanted would be your money back. Running a new book would be nearly impossible. I don’t think our company would be able to accommodate and we would have to pay to run at least 100 copies which is about what we order to being with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I’m shocked they won’t refund the money! I know the company we use would not rerun the book unless we ordered 100 or more copies. But my school would gladly refund the money and let you keep the book.
    Hmm...is yours hardcover? I do it for an elementary school and they're softcover. We've definitely had small quantity runs in the past. In fact they run a single copy as a proof. It's not the final quality, but I seem to be the only one who can tell the difference there.

Ours is hard cover and made by a local-ish company.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is crazy!!!

I’m assuming he was there on picture day?? I do the yearbook at my school. We get a disc a few months after picture day. The disc sorts kids by their class. I will say that every year the disc has at least several kids mislabeled or mis-sorted. I can not possibly know every student and what class they are in so I print out each page and then each teacher must check and sign off on their page. They must check for spelling of the name, correct name for the picture, etc. once they sign off I make any corrections that they marked and that is it. I think this error falls on the teacher or whoever proofs each class page. I will say if students are absent in picture day and picture make up day they most likely will not get a picture in the yearbook. For those kids I try to add a candid picture.
    I work on our yearbook as well and I can honestly tell you that when the committee asks parents to submit candids - they mean it! If you want your kid in the yearbook w/ the candids, submit pics. The committee all works FT so we're not at every school event all the time. We try - but can't take off just to be at events.

I can see how easy it would be to miss someone :-( esp with picture make ups, sick days etc.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Hmm...is yours hardcover? I do it for an elementary school and they're softcover. We've definitely had small quantity runs in the past. In fact they run a single copy as a proof. It's not the final quality, but I seem to be the only one who can tell the difference there.
    Ours is softcover. We don’t get a proof either. I just have to look at the pages on the screen and that is the proof. I’m the only one who does the yearbook, and no one else double checks it, which is stressful to me. After looking at it for so long, everything looks the same. The smallest quantity we can get printed is 100 copies, and that is pretty much all we order these days. Once I submit the book, it takes 3 weeks to receive it, and that is it. If families don’t pre order it, once we run out, there are no more copies. We make this very clear up front. We usually presell about 40 copies, and then sell the other 60 copies once the books arrive.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours is softcover. We don’t get a proof either. I just have to look at the pages on the screen and that is the proof. I’m the only one who does the yearbook, and no one else double checks it, which is stressful to me. After looking at it for so long, everything looks the same. The smallest quantity we can get printed is 100 copies, and that is pretty much all we order these days. Once I submit the book, it takes 3 weeks to receive it, and that is it. If families don’t pre order it, once we run out, there are no more copies. We make this very clear up front. We usually presell about 40 copies, and then sell the other 60 copies once the books arrive.
    That is totally different than ours. We get several print proofs along the process and they print within a week of us finalizing. We now purchase for every student in the school (including kids who didn't buy them), but previously we ordered extras after the fact.

ETA: I cannot imagine being the only person responsible for it. That's really tough!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, just reading this now. I'm so mad on your behalf! Did you ever get a refund? Sounds like the yearbook was a mess this year (missed teachers, missed students).

Our 5th grade students get a free soft cover yearbook (they move up to middle school next year). We had some mistakes (proofreading fails), DS2 name was misspelled (seriously?? his name has a rarely used spelling, but c'mon, his TEACHER was supposed to have spell checked names ). But the worst was twin boys in another class were switched in the pictures, so each boy had the wrong name and profile.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    OP, just reading this now. I'm so mad on your behalf! Did you ever get a refund? Sounds like the yearbook was a mess this year (missed teachers, missed students).

Our 5th grade students get a free soft cover yearbook (they move up to middle school next year). We had some mistakes (proofreading fails), DS2 name was misspelled (seriously?? his name has a rarely used spelling, but c'mon, his TEACHER was supposed to have spell checked names ). But the worst was twin boys in another class were switched in the pictures, so each boy had the wrong name and profile.
    No refund. No apology. I’m not mad anymore but I am getting a little disenchanted with the school I used to love and I’m mourning the loss of that feeling—being super excited and proud of our school. It’s honestly a combination of this incident with the way they handled the math incident but mostly it’s because one of the principals actually yelled at me (it was really weird) and now I get treated a little differently in the office. I still mostly like the school but I miss loving it and feeling welcome there. With DS1s issues I’ve often felt unwelcome at school but we went six years without feeling that until the last two months.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4