Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best sites for learning how to do the Rubix Cube?

The Rubix Cube isn't really popular here anymore - apparently was very popular about two years ago.

But I am thinking of getting my kids interested and seeing if they can join a team if they like it. I thought we could go online and I could see if my kids are remotely excited by a youtube showing how to solve it.

My cousin's kid learned how to do it in sleep over camp and he has become practically worshipped over it in his elementary school, where it's the rage right now. Kids stop him in the hall to help them on their Rubix Cube. He has become so good that he and his friends have a special Rubix cube timer that they compete each other against and they also do more complicated rubix cubes (like 8 x 8 or something like that instead of 4 x 4). He joined a traveling Rubix Cube team and is going all over the state. He's actually not a particularly academic kid and does not love school, making it all the more endearing.

There are almost no girls on his team, which made me think of my daughter.

I asked my cousin's kid if he could teach me and he said that it was too hard to teach and that the Rubix Cube websites and youtubes showing how to solve it weren't very helpful... Is that really true? He is 11 so I am not necessarily relying on his judgement.

Have any of you learned how to solve the Rubix Cube by going online - Youtube or the Rubix Cube website? Is there one site that you think is particularly good?

Thanks.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 06-13-2018 at 01:58 PM.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have any good response, but have you seen that video of the boy who juggles three cubes and solves them all? 😳😳😳😳Amazing!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No ideas, but posting to follow... I would love for my boys to learn.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids started on YouTube but ended up finding the Rubik’s Cube website the best resource. They had some print outs from there that the used significantly when they were learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    My kids started on YouTube but ended up finding the Rubik’s Cube website the best resource. They had some print outs from there that the used significantly when they were learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will have to look this up. I was useless at it when they first came out, and still can barely get one side! DH and DS10 are not much better.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Default Best sites for learning how to do the Rubix Cube?

Ds1 (almost 9) is a master at Rubik’s cube. He watched YouTube videos and wrote algorithms down. He hasn’t done it in a while but at his peak, he could consistently solve it in less than 2 minutes (around 1:30-1:40). It took him a while to get very fast. At first it would take him 10 min to solve, then 8, then 5, then less. He also can make cool designs and solve other cubes too..2x2, pyramid, etc. I think he can still solve it easily in under 3 min.

ETA: DS thinks the YouTuber he watched was incredicuber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can't remember the site, but we googled how to solve a rubix cube last year, and found some good sites with directions that walk you through it - not you tube videos, just good visual directions. How to get the first side, and get it right, what to do next, etc. We all were able to follow it and solve it, but it took some time. Some of the directions are a lot of steps, and I never got to memorizing them. But if I had it would have been cool to do without directions! I was the most into it in our family, which wasn't the original plan...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There's a whole school club program based on this. Here's the instruction guide: http://lghttp.60951.nexcesscdn.net/8...tion_Guide.pdf