Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you everyone for these great responses. They give me a lot of things to think about. I guess my big take away is that it's a lot of work - or can be - and once you sign up, you are kind of in it for the long haul. I have to think seriously about this. My current troop leaders say that they put in 5 hours a week average (sometimes none, sometimes 15, etc).

Interesting that a couple of people said that the training might not be as good as I hope and are not always hands on (american_mama). I didn't realize that.

Interesting about badges and not much guidance - I have seen that, too. My older kid did not go to meetings where one of the badges were earned and the troop leaders have given it to her and told me to do the activities - it's jewelery making - and I'm thinking... err, I don't know exactly what activities warrant a badge. I was going to google it.

Sounds like there is a lot of variation in the time commitment and also how hard people feel it is to be in charge of cookie sales (congrats, mnj77 for selling enough cookies that you guys are going to Disney Land!! How FUN!!)

I hadn't thought about the parents - mnj77, that father who called you at work asking a million questions sounds like a real handful!

I was inspired by some of the remarks about how nice it is to be part of your kid's life, especially as they get older and have their own world away from you, and how fun it is to watch the kids grow and be part of their lives and start to lead, and get so much pleasure from it like redstone, elephantmeg and anniew625 said.

I was also touched about what lizzywednesday said about how a troop leader should be prepared to learn a lot about yourself, about the girls in the troop, and about Scouting, and to learn from the girls in the troop, co-leaders, service unit leaders. I had not thought of it that way.

And ang79, thank you for those extra helpful tips!

About spending money - I agree with you, american_mama about spending money. I am the type of person who would just spend my own money and then start feeling unhappy or resentful volunteering so your words that that it's good to make sure not to spend your own money is a good one.

Not sure if I'll sign up. On the one hand, it would be easier to do in the future when I have more time, but on the other, I won't want to do it as much because my kids won't be in girl scouts anymore and a big reason for me is bonding time/experience with my kids! I'll think about it. Thanks a lot for your responses!!
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 06-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2