Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are you happy you became a Girl Scout Leader? Thinking of it - would love advice

I had started a couple threads on collecting money and choosing presents for my girl scout leaders and wanted to ask this separately from those.

I am thinking of joining the two leaders to be a girl scout leader next year for my younger DD2 (a Daisy).

** I would love your views on your experience of being a Girl Scout troop leader.
    Did you like it? Would you sign up again knowing what you now know?
    Did it entail a huge amount of paperwork (a quick google turned up a NYT article that said that it was a horrible amount of paper work and all the NYT comments whole heartedly agreed)
    How much time did it take (and how often did you meet)?
    Did you find yourself paying out of your own pocket for things a lot (for troop items or trainings you had to complete, etc)
    And anything else - pros, cons, unexpected things that you did not think about before becoming a troop leader, anything!

My Daisy daughter's two leaders have very approached me about becoming a third leader and said that they would love the help and that they could take on more girls with an additional leader (we have a waiting list now). We currently have 12 girls and the troop meets once every two weeks - though in reality, with holidays, it often comes out to once every three weeks or even once a month around Christmas. It's the first year of the troop.

I like these two leaders a lot. They are very competent and good people. They are also my DD2's classmates' moms and one is the mom of my DD2's very close friend. As far as the other parents, I either like or am fine with all, but one who is rude and entitled, but even she is fine if I keep my distance.

I am not really friends with the leaders (we see each other and they are great, but we don't do anything socially beyond the kids), but they would be great to work with.

I guess I am just hesitant/anxious by how much time it will take. The two leaders seem to be working very hard.

The reason I would do it is to be part of my kid's world in this, give back to the community in this small way, and get to know other leaders. I also think I'll like the trainings. I just don't want to sign up for something that is so hard to bow out of in the future... I also know that I'll lose the flexibility I have of now *maybe* doing girl scout things and deciding relatively last minute. For instance, there was a big girl scout all-day event for our town which took place over memorial day weekend, and I said I didn't want to send my DD2 because I wanted to travel that weekend. We ended up staying in town, so I sent DD2 after all and volunteered all day. I realize that if I am leader next year, I will have to commit in advance and not do things spontaneously like that.

So... I'm thinking about it. I THINK I'll like it, but honestly, I don't want to sign up and then think 'ugh, what have I gotten myself into'...

I'd love any views at all!
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 06-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I just wrapped up leading DD's troop. We started in Kindergarten and this is our last year (5th grade) as the girls are all going to different schools. We're going to Disneyland with our cookie money in a couple weeks! I would definitely do something like it again because it was fun to get to know the other girls in DD's class and I think it contributed to a low-drama elementary experience. I really like the underlying values of the program. But Girl Scouts as an organization can be annoying, and me and my co-leader really had to tailor it to our own needs - there isn't a ton of guidance and the guidance that exists is not terribly valuable IMO. I was really lucky to have an amazing, creative, easygoing co-leader. I'll answer your specific questions below.

**Did it entail a huge amount of paperwork (a quick google turned up a NYT article that said that it was a horrible amount of paper work and all the NYT comments whole heartedly agreed)

I took care of all the administrative stuff and there is a lot of useless paperwork and required useless training. My Girl Scouts council seems to be stuck in the paper-based 80s. You have to turn in paper forms (or email them, but then no one checks the email account). When I tried to get my training verified for our Disney trip, I was told I was supposed to have been keeping track on a wallet card that the trainers would have signed. Their computer systems are outdated and unreliable and everything is a pain. Although I was told several times that leaders "who know people" can get around the bureaucracy. If you're the type of person who "knows people," maybe you would have less trouble. I am not.

On the other hand, when it comes to the badges and awards, there is no oversight at all. There are steps the girls are supposed to complete, but when you decide your troop or a girl has earned the badge you just go buy them at the store. No one is checking their work. We basically made up our own curriculum for the badges. I find the curriculum to skew too young for the girls' interests in Brownies and Juniors.

**How much time did it take (and how often did you meet)?

We met every week in K, then dropped to every other week for a few years, and in our last year and a half we met about once a month. In the beginning we met after school at school for an hour, but then we transitioned to a 2 hour once a month meeting at my co-leader's house. It takes time to research and organize the activities, like a couple hours the week before the meeting? My co-leader and I shared the organizing.

A lot of people say that cookie sales take a lot of time. A lot of troops have a separate parent run the cookie sale, but I did it myself and didn't find it too hard.

**Did you find yourself paying out of your own pocket for things a lot (for troop items or trainings you had to complete, etc)

I did, but my co-leader did not. We had plenty of money from cookies and troop dues, but I paid for stuff out of my pocket to save our troop's money for this big trip. We have a troop debit card so it's easy to pay for things with that.

And anything else - pros, cons, unexpected things that you did not think about before becoming a troop leader, anything!

I had a really good group of parents. Our troop was all of the girls in DD's small private school class, so we all knew each other well and saw each other often, and there was an incentive not to act like a jerk. I think it would be a different experience with a more intense set of parents. Our first year we had a girl whose dad called me at work to discuss all kinds of things - should we really be selling cookies since they're unhealthy, he didn't think his daughter worked hard enough to earn the badge I gave her, etc. He was pleasant about it, but intense! She left after the first year - if you have someone like that I think it would get old fast.

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    I had started a couple threads on collecting money and choosing presents for my girl scout leaders and wanted to ask this separately from those.

I am thinking of joining the two leaders to be a girl scout leader next year for my younger DD2 (a Daisy).

** I would love your views on your experience of being a Girl Scout troop leader.
    Did it entail a huge amount of paperwork (a quick google turned up a NYT article that said that it was a horrible amount of paper work and all the NYT comments whole heartedly agreed)

There is a lot of useless paperwork and required training and my Girl Scouts council seems to be stuck in the paper-based 80s. You have to turn in paper forms (or email them, but then no one checks the email account). When I tried to get my training verified for our Disney trip, I was told I was supposed to have been keeping track on a wallet card that would prove my training. Their computer systems are outdated and unreliable and everything is a pain. Although I was told several times that people "who know people" can get around the bureaucracy. If you're the type of person who "knows people," maybe you would have less trouble. I am not.

On the other hand, when it comes to the badges and awards, there is no oversight at all. There are steps the girls are supposed to complete, but when you decide your troop has earned the badge you just go buy it at the store. No one is checking their work. We basically made up our own curriculum for the badges.

We met every week in K, then dropped to every other week for a few years, and in our last year and a half we met about once a month. In the beginning we met after school at school for an hour, but then we transitioned to a 2 hour once a month meeting at my co-leader's house. It takes time to organize the activities, like a couple hours the week before the meeting? My co-leader and I shared the organizing.

Did you find yourself paying out of your own pocket for things a lot (for troop items or trainings you had to complete, etc)

I did, but my co-leader did not. We had plenty of money from cookies and troop dues, but I paid for stuff out of my pocket to save our troop's money.

My Daisy daughter's two leaders have very approached me about becoming a third leader and said that they would love the help and that they could take on more girls with an additional leader (we have a waiting list now). We currently have 12 girls and the troop meets once every two weeks - though in reality, with holidays, it often comes out to once every three weeks or even once a month around Christmas. It's the first year of the troop.

I like these two leaders a lot. They are very competent and good people. They are also my DD2's classmates' moms and one is the mom of my DD2's very close friend. As far as the other parents, I either like or am fine with all, but one who is rude and entitled, but even she is fine if I keep my distance.

I am not really friends with the leaders (we see each other and they are great, but we don't do anything socially beyond the kids), but they would be great to work with.

I guess I am just hesitant/anxious by how much time it will take. The two leaders seem to be working very hard.

The reason I would do it is to be part of my kid's world in this, give back to the community in this small way, and get to know other leaders. I also think I'll like the trainings. I just don't want to sign up for something that is so hard to bow out of in the future... I also know that I'll lose the flexibility I have of now *maybe* doing girl scout things and deciding relatively last minute. For instance, there was a big girl scout all-day event for our town which took place over memorial day weekend, and I said I didn't want to send my DD2 because I wanted to travel that weekend. We ended up staying in town, so I sent DD2 after all and volunteered all day. I realize that if I am leader next year, I will have to commit in advance and not do things spontaneously like that.

So... I'm thinking about it. I THINK I'll like it, but honestly, I don't want to sign up and then think 'ugh, what have I gotten myself into'...

I'd love any views at all!

I'm wrapping up year 3 of leading/year 5 with the troop (first 2 years as cookie mom). We too added a 3rd leader this year (and a very involved college student). We have 20-23 4th graders (they'll be 5th grade next year). I'm the main leader-I do the registrations for events, manage the money and keep up with the website, send out reminders. The second is the main cookie mom. The 3rd leader helps run meetings, does events with us etc. If they have the roles pretty much lined up they are probably looking for another person to drive, camp etc. We all help run meetings (we split the girls into 3 or 4 groups for meetings or it's too crazy).

Is it a lot of work-yes (but honestly most of the GS work I do has to do with being event planner for the service unit)
    Is it worth it-yes-I love what I do with them! I love watching them grow and seeing them start to lead.

Good communication is key. We meet in person 3-4 times a year and then work off of email, FB message and text. We take turns planning the meeting and then I buy supplies and we each do our assigned parts
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This was my first year as a Leader for DD's troop; I am a 3rd-generation Leader.

I had a handful of things that were Very Important to me, but mostly guided the girls while they worked on projects because Brownies are allowed to be a little more independent than Daisies.

I might run the troop a little differently, but I wouldn't hesitate to re-up.

I think your experience with paperwork and training will depend on your Council.

Heck, my Council even has teleconference trainings for stuff that doesn't require hands-on experience, which mean all I need to do is find a quiet spot to set up!

We do not have to turn in actual paper, but there's a bunch of administrative tasks that have to be done for each event we do away from our normal meeting site, so trips or SU & Council events have to be logged with the SU.

In fact, paper forms like this aren't required unless you're going a certain distance from your area or for more than 3 days - so a day-trip or overnight to NYC or Philly would require an online form, but a trip somewhere like Disney or Boston would require paper from Council.

Again, this might vary based on your SU and Council.

Ask the current leaders how much paperwork is required; you may not need to do any, or you can divvy things up to make it more fair based on your time/resources.

We met weekly for an hour each meeting, but my troop had a total of 4 girls, counting DD.

I'd spend an hour or so through the week prepping for most meetings.

I paid out of pocket for things that I thought I would also use for myself, so when I bought supplies to decorate salt dough ornaments, I used my own money, but when I bought decorations & non-food treats for our SU Halloween/Juliette Gordon Low Birthday Bash, I used troop funds.

All trainings I've attended have been free; the only one that will cost me anything is the First Aid training, but Council allows troop funds to be applied towards the cost of First Aid training. (This might vary by Council, but it's my understanding here that I can use troop funds.)

And anything else - pros, cons, unexpected things that you did not think about before becoming a troop leader, anything!...

I've always been told that it's as much work as you make it.

Since I had a small troop, we were able to do a lot of fun things ... but we also weren't able to do a lot of trips because we didn't have a lot of resources to use (or registered parents - I had my brother Joe register when I needed another adult for a cookie booth because my only other registered parent couldn't make it.) Fortunately, my girls all seemed to have a great time together, and I've got bigger plans for next year because we'll be teaming up with another troop so we can do more exciting things.

I also took ownership of troop cookie sales - initial orders, booth registration, logging sales, etc. - and I learned a lot. (Like ... don't send more than the deposit Council requests or you're waiting until June to get the money back and you can't do anything!)

Be prepared to learn a lot about yourself, about the girls in the troop, and about Scouting.

Also be prepared to learn FROM people - the girls in the troop, your co-leaders, and the other leaders in your SU - they're pretty amazing.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post

Good communication is key. We meet in person 3-4 times a year and then work off of email, FB message and text. We take turns planning the meeting and then I buy supplies and we each do our assigned parts
    This is so true.

After every meeting, I used to send a meeting recap and announcements email.

If I learned about a new event between meetings, I sent info about it with my upcoming meeting reminder.

I got everyone's cell numbers so I could text in the event of weather cancellation, injury, or other concerns.

I put important documents on Google Drive.

I don't currently use FB with my troop, but I might next year.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I can’t speak from experience (and thankfully I finally found a troop for my DD2 that meets at our local park), but my cousin who is active military (Air Force) has started 3 troops in each of the cities she has lived in since her daughter was in Daisy Scouts (Las Vegas, Montgomery, AL, and now Springfield, VA) and she gets immense pleasure from it. I am I awe that she can do it all. I really want an awesome volunteer experience for my kids that I got from 4-H (which sadly isn’t big in suburban LA) so if for some reason this troop that I have found for DD2 doesn’t work then I think I will think about starting my own for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been a leader for my youngest daughter's troop the past 4 years. Year 1 of Daisies I was the lone leader with 4-7 girls. Then a mom stepped up to co-lead with me. Our max was 12 Brownies (we are allowed to put a cap on how many girls we will accept in the troop and this number worked best for us per GS regulations about adult/girl ratios for outtings). Answers to your Q's:

Did you like it? Would you sign up again knowing what you now know? Some weeks I stressed about meetings and would have rather stayed home but overall it's been a fun experience with a great set of girls. Most parents have been great to work with and we had a good amount that registered as troop volunteers. Our whole troop is moving up to Juniors in the fall with another Junior leader (she has led Juniors for many years), but I am moving up to do a cadette troop for my DD1, as the only other troop met on a night that was not good for us. I wanted to continue to support her interest in Girl Scouts and also want to be able to play a part in her world and stay connected with her and her friends as she enters Jr. High. I will admit I know very little about the Cadette level (I was not a Girl Scout growing up), and this age group intimidates me a bit, but hopefully it will be a good experience! So far I will have 4 girls in the troop, but will probably gain more. If my youngest daughter wants to continue past the Junior level I will probably continue as her Cadette leader then.

Did it entail a huge amount of paperwork? Girl Scouts does like paperwork! We need permission slips to be completed for anything that is not at our normal meeting location on our normal night. There is a paper form but I've started using an online form at permissionclick.com. I put in the details then email the form to my parents. I can print out one sheet with the emergency contact numbers to take with me on the outting. Our council used to require rosters sent to the head office for every outting but has changed that to only needing it for trips that are further away or for several days. There are two forms for parents to complete each year about health and emergency contacts. I've also started keeping the original papers and having parents initial and date if all info is the same from year to year (since I had most of the same girls for 4 years in a row). There are also permission slips for parents to sign for any fundraisers (we do Fall Product and Cookie Sales).

How much time did it take (and how often did you meet)? Our Daisy troop met for an hour weekly, Brownies met for 1.5 hrs. weekly (but not through the summer or over holiday breaks). I'll be doing 1.5 hrs. weekly with Cadettes. That sounds like a lot of time but some nights 1.5 hrs. flew by and it felt like we didn't accomplish much (especially if the girls were extra chatty or hyper!). My Brownie troop also did a ton of weekend events because we found free or cheap badge programs and STEM programs locally. I think that is out of the norm for most troops around here though. As far as prep work for meetings, my co-leader and I took turns planning badges so some weeks there was more to do than others. I also was the one who kept all the paperwork, sent parent communications, etc. We shared the responsibility of contacting places to visit, signing up for activities, etc.

Some troops have a dedicated cookie parent for cookie sales. I ended up being that person (housing the cookies, getting them to each girl as they needed more, setting up cookie booths, etc.) It is a lot of work, but since I have a part time job it made more sense for me to do it than my co-leader (and we didn't have another parent who volunteered). After the first few years I figured out a system to stay sane, mostly!

Did you find yourself paying out of your own pocket for things a lot (for troop items or trainings you had to complete, etc) I budgeted our troop money very carefully. We had $30 dues paid in October, Fall Product funds which we got at the end of Dec., and cookie money in the spring to work with. We tried to find cheap/free activities so that we could make the money go further. Craft items are easy to get with coupons and sometimes parents gave supply donations (crayons, paper, tape, glue, etc.) The one thing you can't get cheap is badges, they went up to $3 a piece this year and multiplied by 11 girls that added up quickly! Fun patches I ordered from other sites (makingfriends.com, advantageemblem.com) for cheaper than the council store has. My co-leader sometimes bought things out of pocket, but that was her choice (we have a troop credit card and check book and I always offered to reimburse her but she always declined). We were able to stay within our budget and not have to ask parents for extra out of pocket money during the year. That may change with the Cadette troop though, as outtings and programs cost more at that level.

And anything else - pros, cons, unexpected things that you did not think about before becoming a troop leader, anything! I picked up some ideas from other leaders that I think have helped a lot.

1. Permissionclick.com for the permission slips, signupgenius.com for cookie booth sign ups, signing up to bring items for parties/ceremonies, etc., and surverymonkey.com when I needed to get feedback from parents on things.
    2. Remind app to send last minute changes/reminders to parents via text or email. It was also nice to let them know when we left a location and estimated time back at the pick up location.
    3. Weekly emails to keep parents informed on upcoming meeting plans, activities, dates to remember, etc. I know not all the parents read this but some really appreciated having that contact to help keep them organized.
    4. I am not on Facebook, but I know many troops that are. We kept track of our photos with a Shutterfly Share site, so parents had access to pics and could print any they wanted. Any parent could add pics to the album, which was nice.

When I started leading another leader told me to do what I wanted and what worked for me (do a little/meet less often or do more and meet weekly). There are no requirements as to how much or how long you meet, you just do what works for you and your troop. I've put a lot into it as I want my daughter to have a great experience and I have the time to do so. We do not have a lot of training opportunities in our Council and there are monthly Service Unit meetings for leaders, but I don't go to all of them. If I have questions, I know some other leaders I can ask and our Council is getting a bit more organized with staff and being helpful to leaders, but I know that varies by areas. Honestly, a lot of what I've learned about meeting ideas, ways to earn badges, and troop organization has come from other leaders or from online (there are tons of blogs out there by other troop leaders sharing ideas. There is a huge need for people willing to be involved as a leader, but once you commit to that its hard to back out later on, as the older girls get the less leaders there seems to be, at least around here. So just be sure that you are willing to be in it for the long haul if needed.

Co-leader for 5 years.

I have loved spending time with my DD and watching her interact with her friends. Actually being part of the group has created many special memories. It's a richer experience, IMO than sitting on sideline watching a game or dance recital. Good stuff too, but getting my hands dirty has meant more to me. (And her I hope).

Like PP poster said the amount of troop paperwork will vary by council, so it's a hard question to answer. But any field trip will require permission slips.

For the younger ages, there is so much out there on badge or petal ideas. Lots and lots of creative ideas. Or you could stick with the Girl Scout Materials. The online Volunteer Toolkit actually has some good badge activities. The site is cumbersome and not easy to navigate. And not sure how much is there for all the new STEM and outdoor badges. But it might be worth a look.

I tell any new Daisy or Brownie leader to avoid the journeys. They are long and complicated and really are Girl Scouts weakest offering. Ask veteran leaders and most will grumble how much they hate them. Try reading through the journey requirements and your eyes will glaze over, lol. They are NOT required. Scouts tries to tie them to the regular badges, but it's clumsy. Just stick to the basic petals and badges. Your girls will thank you!

I think troops over 15 girls gets too large - especially with the younger girls. Even with multiple leaders you kind of lose the intimacy of a smaller troop and it's too much like a classroom.

I;ve been a leader for 5 years and had two troops for three of those years. For DD1, it was grades 6-8 with some of 5th grade too. For DD2, it was grades 3-7 and counting. I like it way more than I thought I would.
    eta: I read the other replies after replying and I should offer some context. There are about 110 Girl Scout councils around the country and they are all run indepndently with a lot of variation. Paperwork and training are two things that vary widely by council. Badge requirements and curriculum are the same evreywhere - but leaders have a lot of freedom in how they teach those badge requirements.

Did it entail a huge amount of paperwork (a quick google turned up a NYT article....
    >> I've read that article. The writer is making a mountain out of.... a hill. Yes, GS has a little more paperwork than it should and it can be a pain, but it's not crazy. The forms are usually short. In the last year, I've heard a lot of people complain about forms, so it's a shared complaint, but not enough to chase me away. My council has put a lot of forms online this year, which helps.

>>> I have met every other week, sometimes more like monthly for busy older girls. The meeting prep usually takes me a lot of time. I do it all myself, almost always. Sometimes it takes me a lot of time because I get really into it, and I remind myself that is my choice. Sometimes I'm not into it and the prep is quicker.

>>> I do not pay out of pocket for almost anything. I use the troop debit card or reimburse myself for almost all supplies, even $4 spent at Dollar Tree. I reimburse all drivers actual gas costs for out-of-town trips, including myself. Troop sometimes pay for my registration, sometimes not (cost in our council is about $30). When my troop went to Busch Garden or another troop to Savannah, the cost of 2 chaperones is included in the cost of the troop. This question about otu of pocket costs comes up often in online Girl Scout forums, and I would say it seems like 2/3 or more of people do spend a lot of money out-of-pocket on their troop. I don't. That's what troop funds are for. The last thing I want is for anyone, including me, to start to feel unhappy about the cost of volunteering and stop doing it - because their time and involvement is worth way more than gas money.

we could take on more girls with an additional leader (we have a waiting list now). We currently have 12 girls and the troop meets
    >> Getting girls off the waiting list is so important. It is not hard to get girls interested in Girl Scouts, especially in elmentary, but lack of volunteers is the main reason why girls are not participating. I will say that the larger the Daisy group, the harder it is as the girls are wiggly, giggly and need a lot of help. Be prepared for regular chaos and herding cats!

The two leaders seem to be working very hard.
    >>> I have very much liked the women I've gotten to know through Girl Scouts, so it has expanded my circle too. I'm not really looking to the parents of the girls to be friends with, in part because they are all at separate schools and parts of the city. If the two leaders are working very hard, it might be because they need help. If there is something you are good at, I would volunteer to be the leader for that thing.... maybe outdoor stuff, or crafts, or parent communication, or finances, or council and service unit communication or organization/finances for the cookie sale. Those are big roles that not everyone is good at, and sometimes a leader is doing all of it when she's not good at all of it.

The reason I would do it is to be part of my kid's world in this, give back to the community in this small way, and get to know other leaders.
    >>> These were largely my reasons. It is a pleasure to see my child in a different role, to see her friends and age peers and get a different perspective, and to help create an experience that is the image I have and which interests my daughter. I'm not into crafts - ergo, we don't do a lot of crafts. I'm into light outdoor stuff and light camping - that's what we do. I want to learn more outdoor stuff, so I am trying to get to know leaders who know more and then see if my troop is interested. I'm camping a little as a family. I'm helping another leader (who has become a friend) in July with an overnight since she knows a lot and needs a second chaperone, so we both gain.

>>> I also think I'll like the trainings.
    Hmm. It probably depends on the topic and delivery method, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. On the upside, I thought I would like the outdoor education training and I did. It was an overnight and fairly hands on. I was a beginner camper and waited to attend until I was truly eager to learn. However, most other Girl Scout trainings in my council are not hands on. They are sitting in a library meeting space learning about rules, procedures, and examples. Or they are online, fairly dull and often don't give any examples or really answer any questions.

>> I also know that I'll lose the flexibility I have of now *maybe* doing girl scout things and deciding relatively last minute.
    Well, last minute may not work anymore, but it does not mean you don't have flexibility. Two registered adults are needed for all activities, so with three, that will give some flexiblity for someone to NOT be there. (There are some ratio requirements that would come into play with Daisies, but the allowed ratios get higher every level in scouting). My daughter goes to almost all troop activities, but not every one - although I do go to every activity. I do not go to every shift at every cookie booth. But I only have two leaders whereas you will have 3, so that is a little easier.

I love the breadth and well-roundedness of the Girl Scout program, the history, the public recognition, the combination of new and old in the programming. I find it a creative outlet for me to figure out ways to do a badge that will interest the girls, or fit a relevant activity into a meeting schedule that has 3 other things going on. I am often amazed at getting to know girls with such different personalities and families than my own. I love the enthusiasm the girls and parents have for Girl Scouting, so much that I am often a little crushed when a girl decides not to come back for another year. The women I have met in Girl Scouting, especailly the ones a little older than me, are organized, fun, active, reliable, and committed. They get things done... and fast. They often have volunteered for decades with the program, for girls not their own. I find them an inspiring and unrecognized group.

I have pretty much liked it more each year I've done it. Now that I have middle school and beyond aged girls, I think the best stuff in Girl Scouts is at the older levels. DD1 and DD2 have gotten their first babysitting experiences through a troop babysitting night, DD1 has gone out of state twice with her troop, they've taught younger girls activities and had a role as youth camp staff for the summer (so important as kids start to age out of being campers in middle school and need the next level of being leaders). They've attended cool and affordable overnight camps where older girls can revert to being goofy campers, and they've tried things for the first time (like kayaking) that we don't do as a family but my girls really liked. They have done community service projects were they have felt they were making a difference or seeing a side of life they don't normally see.

This may not be were your daughter is at as a Daisy, but it's the kind of long-term benefit Girl Scouts offers, well beyond elmenetary school.
    Last edited by american_mama; 06-15-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post

For the younger ages, there is so much out there on badge or petal ideas. Lots and lots of creative ideas. Or you could stick with the Girl Scout Materials. The online Volunteer Toolkit actually has some good badge activities. The site is cumbersome and not easy to navigate. And not sure how much is there for all the new STEM and outdoor badges. But it might be worth a look.
    My Council says that the STEM and Outdoor stuff is supposed to be 100% on VTK for 2018-'19. I don't know if that varies by Council, but ours tends to be behind others!

I tell any new Daisy or Brownie leader to avoid the journeys. They are long and complicated and really are Girl Scouts weakest offering. Ask veteran leaders and most will grumble how much they hate them. Try reading through the journey requirements and your eyes will glaze over, lol. They are NOT required. Scouts tries to tie them to the regular badges, but it's clumsy. Just stick to the basic petals and badges. Your girls will thank you!
    I did a Journey with my girls this year, and the requirements aren't actually the tough part - it's the way they're laid out in the handbooks.

I used it as an excuse to get to know my girls and thought about ways to do fun stuff that would still meet the requirements, which, to be honest, aren't that complicated. We met a lot of the requirements by working on things for World Thinking Day.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast