Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would you ask for these back?

When I was 16 years old my parents bought me a pair of hiking boots for a trip we went on.

I went to college and moved out and left the hiking boots in my closet at my parents' house.

A few years ago (i.e. 15+ years after I left them behind), my mother cleaned out my closet and SIL happened to be there and took my hiking boots. The other day I saw them in her hallway. I haven't ever seen her wear them. They are over 20 years old.

I'm going hiking this weekend and I don't have other hiking boots. I could wear sneakers. But I'm going to her house tonight and just wondered if it would be terribly rude for me to ask to borrow them back.

WWYD?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

You can’t ask for them back. Just suck it up and buy new hiking boots. I’m not an expert, but 20 year old boots seem really old. They might not be comfortable anymore and I assume the materials have degraded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with Georgie. Please don't ask for them back. It's bizarre that your sil has them and would be even more weird for you to ask for them back.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Agree with Georgie. Please don't ask for them back. It's bizarre that your sil has them and would be even more weird for you to ask for them back.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You say ask to borrow them back. What do you mean? I think it would be fine to ask to borrow them. But it would be odd, but not necessarily rude, to ask for them back for good.

Borrow them back meaning ask to wear them for the hike this weekend then give them back to her. I don’t think I would consider asking her to borrow boots if they hadn’t originally been mine before. I probably will eventually buy new boots but wouldn’t have time to do that for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Borrow them back meaning ask to wear them for the hike this weekend then give them back to her. I don’t think I would consider asking her to borrow boots if they hadn’t originally been mine before. I probably will eventually buy new boots but wouldn’t have time to do that for this weekend.
    Yes, this would be very strange. Do whatever you would have done if you hadn’t seen the boots at your SIL’s house. They’re not your boots anymore. If you’d wanted them, 15 or more years ago was the time to reclaim them. Unless you’d feel comfortable asking your SIL to borrow her boots if they were hers from a store and had no connection to you, don’t ask for these simply because they were yours 20 years ago. Go buy new boots or make do.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Buy your own boots. Don’t ask to borrow those ones.
    Shoes worn by someone else aren’t comfy anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I kept a pair of hiking boots I bought when I was 16. When I tried to use the in my mid thirties they were extremely uncomfortable because the insole had deteriorated- and the hadn’t been used. I would get new shoes!
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Buy your own boots. Don’t ask to borrow those ones.
    Shoes worn by someone else aren’t comfy anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t think she has ever worn them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast