bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default SUggestions for visiting the High Line

I want to plan a NYC day to visit the High Line with my parents and kids (13&15). We live on Long Island and many moons ago I lived and worked in the city, but haven't been in ages and haven't done much there as a family. When I was a kid I loved visiting NYC, but my kids are more outdoorsy and activity-based personalities and don't seem to enjoy it the way I do. I think this will be a nice way for them to see a different side of the city, since Times Square, Rock Center, and Madison Square Garden is what they are familiar with. We will be taking the LIRR in on a weekday in July and will probably arrive around 10. I am also wondering if the weekend may be better.

Help me plan our day! I fear we will get there and walk the High Line quickly and then I will be left figuring out what we should do next. I know this is silly, because it is NYC after all--there is tons to do everywhere. But I feel my familiarity is "low" and I want to have a sort of agenda of what the day will be like.

How long will it take? Recommendations for places to eat nearby ("local" type places would be great)? What should be do before after to round out the day? We have done Battery Park, Statue of Liberty, and the outside of the 9/11 Museum already. I thought about Central Park (but think we may need more of a specific thing to do, this would be to similar to High Line) or Freedom Tower.

Any thoughts or suggests appreciated. I would love to hear how you spent your day at the High Line so I can get some ideas.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

We have spent a couple of hours exploring the High Line, but not a whole day. Both times, we stopped at Chelsea Market and had either lunch or a snack. I would guess there may be more performers on weekends but during the height of the summer season there may be enough on a weekday. Since you said your kids are outdoorsy, maybe rent bikes at Central Park or along the river?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kiddo wasn't terribly excited by the High Line. we walked a good portion of it and it was fine. The Chelsea Market was worth a stop.

Have you been to the Met? That was really great.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We walked the High Line at our own pace, took breaks on benches and ended up having lunch and ice-cream at the Chelsea Market. Start on the north end and make your way down south. If your kids like rock-climbing, they might be into Chelsea Piers (see more about it here: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/thin...-the-high-line). The Whitney is close to the southern end of the High Line and would be worth a visit if you have time after: https://whitney.org/About/NewBuilding

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmmm... summer in the City on weekends can be a treat - oftentimes, the folks who just don't want to deal bail out in favor of the beach or the mountains, so it might not be as busy as you think.

My DD loves the Ancient Playground next to the Met (part of Central Park) but that's in an entirely different part of town from the High Line park.

I've wandered into Chelsea Market and it's fantastic.

Chelsea Piers is a lot of fun; I had a team outing there once! (We all had lunch together and then went bowling.)

There are a lot of great green spaces throughout the City. Say what you like about Bloomberg (and I usually do), but his Greenways plan went a long way towards improving access to parks and physical activities around the perimeter of Manhattan! You walk (or bike or skate!) almost the whole way 'round the island without setting foot on a City street. (It doesn't cross uptown, which is a bummer, but if you exit near Riverside Church, you're not far from Grant's Tomb.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I did some advance research for my daughter's high school Girl Scout troop who just got back from NYC on Tuesday. They didn't go to the High Line, but I found out about pay-what-you-wish walking tours https://freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/ which offers some of the High Line. The company gets good reviews. Seems like a lot of people tip/pay $15-20ish per person, but less is ok too.

On July weekdays, looks like they have a 6 pm Monday evening tour and 2 pm Wednesday tour of the High Line.

The High Line also has free stargazing on Tuesday nights http://www.thehighline.org/activities/stargazing

Not sure if you want other ideas, but I read there has been a lot of development of Governor's Island just south of Manhattan with lots of outdoor stuff.... biking, festivals, ferry, food trucks, charity garden program, maybe climbing. Maybe your outdoor kids would like that.
    Last edited by american_mama; 06-22-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Washington Post’s Travel section focused on NYC this week and this was the cover article:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.d08f1cac61f9
    DS 2/09