Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Definitely! Would love one! We are considering selling and buying a house with a pool or putting one in. They are almost expected in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    We didn't want to deal with the upkeep, heating costs, weekly maintenance, etc for the infrequency of how much we would use a pool. But that's just our personal preference.
    Same here. But they aren't super common here. You'll see them around in more upscale neighborhoods, but even then, you wouldn't get very far if a pool is on your "must have" list.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Now that my kids are older, I think it would be wonderful to have a pool even though we couldn't use it year round. Homes w/pools seem to be the ones where kids hang out at in the summer.

I would still go for yard over pool, though. But if there's room for both, it would be a bonus, I think.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

We bought a house with a pool two years ago and I love it. Our house was similar, needed lots of cosmetic updates and was a good price. I think part of the reason we got it for such a good price is because a pool is a bit of a negative for a lot of families (we live in MN). We're big swimmers and would go to our gym every possible day in the summer to swim anyway and DD is on a swim team, so I knew that we'd use our own pool.

I used to work with a lady who had a pool and I mentioned that it must be a lot of work and expense to just use a pool for a few months and she told me that they view their pool as a cabin (those are super popular around here). Her kids have fun at their pool and can have lots of friends over, they have families over often and use it to relax after work, whether they go for a swim or just sit by it. I thought that was such a good example and that's how I view our pool for our family too, it's like a little vacation in my backyard and I don't have to pack or go anywhere.

I also know that the low price we paid to buy this home will translate to a lower selling price in the future if we still have a pool - I'm totally ok with that because we are enjoying the heck out of our home. We spend much less money on entertainment because we spend so much time at home. I host lots of kids, but I just make some lemonade, cut up a watermelon, open a bag of chips and send them outside, pretty cheap and everyone is happy!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in New England and I wouldn’t buy a house with a pool but that’s how badly I don’t want the maintenance and upkeep of a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We live in an area where not having a pool is a disadvantage. However, when we were looking at houses I didn't want to even look at a house with a pool. DH was fine either way. I was pregnant with DS, so a pool was just something else to take care of and cost money. I was also nervous about the safety aspect, even with a pool fence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We did not look at houses with pools, if you don't blow out the lines, they freeze and burst. You have to pay to fill it, clean it, maintain it, then drain it, blow the lines, cover it- all for 8 weeks, maybe 10 if you are lucky of use. Until last week I had the heat on and it was in the 40's at night. We pay $850 a year for a pool and tennis club that we do no work for, has other kids to play with and lifeguards.

We are northern new england and pool houses stay on the market longer than non pool houses.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I am in Mass, and am closing on a house with a pool next week. We were not looking for a house with a pool, but I am hoping our house becomes the hangout house for our kids and their friends. We are removing the slide and diving board though.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When we were house hunting 8 years ago I didn't even want to look at houses with pools because DS2 was only 1 at the time and it freaked me out from a safety perspective! But now my kids are 9 and 14 and we actually had a pool put in last summer, so yes, I'd for sure buy a house with a pool! But we're in Southern CA and can swim almost year round and I use the jacuzzi multiple times a week, so we get a lot of use. We pay $120 a month for a pool cleaning service, but don't have to worry about closing the pool in the winter, etc.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I'd absolutely consider it. My kids love to swim.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast