Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It's extra money to maintain, but if you have that money and feel you would use the pool, I'd say go for it. And if you don't use it, you can always fill it up. If you didn't have kids and were looking to buy a house with a pool, I'd say meh. But with kids, especially older than 5, I'd say it's great. But definitely fence it in even if your state law doesn't require it to keep it safe from toddlers.

Funny because I'm looking for a house, too, and having a pool is *not* on my 'necessary' list at all. But I can see the advantages now that it's summer.

In my old state, no one had pools. Here, now that it's summer and hot, what I see is that those families with pools can host so easily. So lucky! We are going to a pool party tomorrow and my DD2 can't wait. I was just thinking that it's such an easy win for the hosts - they will have 12 Kindergarteners and their parents and we are all bringing food and we aren't even going into their house - I would LOVE to have the opportunity to host and have people over like that!

This all being said, our area has 'neighborhood pools' and those are super fun, too, because you meet your neighbors and it's less work. So all things being equal, I would probably prefer to buy a house in an area near a neighborhood pool than have my own. But if my area didn't have neighborhood pools or one that was close by, I'd be happy to buy a house with a pool!
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 06-20-2018 at 02:11 AM.

I would not look for a house with a pool, but it wouldn't stop me from buying an otherwise perfect house.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you have the money to maintain it (and the money to heat it so that you can use it more often), then go for it! I was one of the "no way we are buying a house with a pool" people and I can't imagine not having a pool now. I actually now wish we had a bigger pool with a deeper end. I did go full-on freak-out with a fence and ISR lessons for the kids, though.

disclaimer - we live in an area where the unheated pool can be used a good 6 months out of the year.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-20-2018 at 09:00 AM.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a pool, so I’d be a maybe. I had very specific things I wanted in a pool so the specifics might factor in. When my kids wer little though...it was a no. We have a heated pool with an auto cover so we don’t have to close it. We are in the southern Midwest so we have hot summers and our winters are cold but we have days in the 60s where the kids want to jump in. We’ve used it year round but are in it almost daily in the summer. So worth it.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We would only want to buy a house that does have a pool - even in a snowy climate.

If you asked me that 10 years ago, when we were house hunting. I say no. However since having kids, and many many homes in my neighborhood have pools. Especially in my section of town where we have 1-2 acres of land to easily put in a big pool and still have grass for kids to play.

That is despite our town having a community pool with membership, which is very popular. But homes with pools doesn’t seem to be a deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I don’t really think there’s any question that, at least in my area of the NE, a pool is NOT an asset to a house sale. It definitely decreases the number of people who will consider buying or even looking at your house on resale, though I’m not sure it decreases the value, except that many people fill in pools immediately on buying a home, and I’m not sure whether sellers negotiate that cost in coming to a final number. Having said that, though, unless you’re buying solely with an eye to resale, I wouldn’t let the pool dissuade you from buying a great house, especially if you know for certain that you can easily afford the maintenance necessary to enjoy the pool yourself. Having a heated pool is really expensive, but it’s also wonderful! You’ll definitely use it during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did, only because of very low inventory and I bought it with the intention of filling it in. We did fill it in and that was the best decision. Around here pools are somewhat common, though honestly it only gets hot enough for a pool in the summer, and even then evenings cool down. I think half of the people find it an asset, while the other half are like me.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I live in New England and would not here. But I would consider it in other places where it would be usable a larger portion of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, we specifically looked for a house without a pool when we bought. We didn't want to deal with the upkeep, heating costs, weekly maintenance, etc for the infrequency of how much we would use a pool. But that's just our personal preference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast