Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I live in NY and we put in a pool 2yr ago. If we had to move we'd look for a house with a pool. My kids are 8 and 10 and we use the pool every weekend and a lot of nights after school. Our pool season is Memorial Day through Labor Day and we DON'T have a pool heater just a solar cover. It gets and stays plenty warm like that. It's an above ground and maintenance and upkeep are really quite easy and opening and closing the pool doesn't really cost much to do (the biggest hassle is taking water out of the pool). We do it all ourselves (chemicals, draining water, putting cover on, etc). We live in a rural community so there's no community pool, no membership club with a pool to belong to, and I'd say 50% of the homes in our town have a pool. It's a cheap and easy way to keep the kids entertained all summer long.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not but we have a pool and its the bane of my existence.

IF you are considering the house, MAKE SURE that there are no trees near the pool - esp trees on neighbors' properties. I say this b/ neighbors on 3 sides have these giant trees that block the sun in the yard. They aslo drop berries, acorns, twizler things, leaves and the occasional squirrel directly into the pool.

also, check the depth of the pool. Ours is 20x22 ft and at its shallowest its 3.5 or 4ft and in the deep its 15 ft. Nice if you have a diving board but our ins made us remove it and the deeper the pool the colder the water. No sun + large deep pool = FREEZING temps!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post

IF you are considering the house, MAKE SURE that there are no trees near the pool - esp trees on neighbors' properties. I say this b/ neighbors on 3 sides have these giant trees that block the sun in the yard. They aslo drop berries, acorns, twizler things, leaves and the occasional squirrel directly into the pool.

also, check the depth of the pool. Ours is 20x22 ft and at its shallowest its 3.5 or 4ft and in the deep its 15 ft. Nice if you have a diving board but our ins made us remove it and the deeper the pool the colder the water. No sun + large deep pool = FREEZING temps!
    That is a very deep pool. I can’t inagine how much it must cost to heat!

I think I'd be happy with a pool and my prior post said as much, but I was at a pool party this week and the host was talking about how they put in the pool after they bought the house. Someone asked if they use the pool often and he laughed and said that when they bought the house and put in the pool, they thought that they would use the pool every night during the summer or at least weekends, but that in reality the pool is not used for weeks at a time. He said that they get busy, the kids are in camp or they are traveling and they really don't remember to use it or think about it much. He said that had he known how little he would use the pool, he never would have put one in and said that he would never put in a pool again. He said that the next house he buys, he will make sure it does *not* have a pool.

So, that would be one anecdotal vote to say don't go for a pool. That all being said, here, you can only get about 10-12 weeks of pool use max - so if you are a family that has your kids in lots of classes/camps or you travel, it makes sense not to have one. But if you are a family who can just have the kids hang out at the pool on many warm days or you have more weeks of the summer throughout the year and pool use, it makes more sense. (I'm loving this weather these last few weeks and envious of those with more heat!)
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 06-21-2018 at 11:23 PM.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

NOPE!! I will NEVER buy a house with a pool!!! I spent my life around pools, but never want one. For me, it's a safety issue. There have been too many drownings and too many accidents. Everytime we are at a backyard pool party, something happens; usually minor, but always scary!!! We spend $900 a year to join the town pool every year and love it, I don't want one in my backyard!!!!! The aquatic director where we go is a stickler for safety, even then we have witnessed accidents.

Add the fear to the upkeep costs... Nope...

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post

One thing about Florida I LOVE my pool cage. Keeps all that crap out.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in the Phoenix metro area and I have a pool and had a pool at my previous house.

I would have loved to have not had to buy a house with a pool but in the area of town I live in pools are almost like a/c, everyone has one.

I did the math and I could take my kids to the public pool with the diving boards and water slides and zero depth entry for less than the cost of up keep.
    Not to mention the fact that for us playing in the pool is like those of you living up north playing in the snow, by July my kids are bored of it.

I refer to the pool as the money whore, there always something to fix and it's always gonna cost a bundle, and this is with me doing the upkeep and me doing the fixes.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Everyone I know who bought a house with a pool was so hesitant at first and then loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes, this is us. I didn't want a pool when we moved to NY, but the house we liked the best had one. We love it now! Maintenance isn't nearly as bad as I thought...we pay someone to open and close, but DH does the day to day stuff. We switched it over to a salt system and now it is really easy. And we use it most days in the summer, plus some in the spring and fall. Its really nice for DH bc he works long hours but can always come home and relax in the pool with the kids.
    Last edited by acmom; 06-22-2018 at 10:28 PM.

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I completely regret not buying a house with a pool, but 11 years ago when we built my kids were small. We think we are going to put one in now, but they are about 60,000 here to put one in, so it’s taking lots of thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JamiMac View Post
    I completely regret not buying a house with a pool, but 11 years ago when we built my kids were small. We think we are going to put one in now, but they are about 60,000 here to put one in, so it’s taking lots of thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I see people run into this problem a lot here. Houses with pools do not cost any more than houses without a pool here. So if you buy a house without and want to put one in, it costs so much more...AND you don't get that money back when you re-sell

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4