Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Boat sickness- does medicine really help?

I’ve always had trouble with boats. I just got off a 30 minute car ferry over pretty smooth water and feel awful a few hours later. I bought some Bonine but didn’t think I’d need it for that. We have a 4-5 hour whale watching boat tour scheduled tomorrow in some straits and I’m not sure I should go. I don’t want to pin my hopes on the meds, find out they don’t help and have not only a miserable 4-5 boat ride but pretty much lose the whole rest of the day. Anyone with experience they could share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dramamine Helps me but it knocks me out!
    However, I have taken the nondrowsy Dramamine, which still makes me drowsy but not totally, and enjoyed whale watching tours. Is there a shorter tour available? I’m assuming it’s too late to make a change on that but if you can, perhaps you should.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No shorter tours. This is it from our location. Booked months ago as my family will love it.
    I was afraid of the drowsy factor too.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have not used it myself, but I hear the scopolamine patch is effective and doesn’t cause drowsiness. It requires a prescription though, I would call your primary care doctor and see if they can prescribe it over the phone.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post
    Have not used it myself, but I hear the scopolamine patch is effective and doesn’t cause drowsiness. It requires a prescription though, I would call your primary care doctor and see if they can prescribe it over the phone.
    I’ve never used the scopolamine patch, but just looked it up, and the looong list of drug interactions, warnings and adverse effects would make me hesitant. (And about 20% report drowsiness.)

Fun fact: Back in the Dark Ages, scopolamine was still used in labor. My then-husband was told he wouldn’t be allowed in the labor area because he might get upset by all the screaming and hallucinating... (Fortunately we transferred to an academic med center where they were more up to date.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have taken the non-drowsy Dramamine on a number of trips and it has worked very well for me. The key is to take it at least an hour before you get on board and then keep it in your system, even if you feel okay. For a day trip, I think if you take a dose an hour before you'll be fine. Another thing that can help is having some ginger lozenges to suck on while on board.

I cannot even go below deck on a boat in calm water while on the move without it and with it I've done days of sailing in rolling seas, a week on a catamaran in the BVIs and a week on a yacht in the Galapagos. Plus dolphin watching day trips and ferries. All without any sea sickness other than if I forgot to take a dose. Once you are already sea sick, I think it is harder to get on top of it.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Bonine works for me on boat rides (I used to scuba dive a couple times a month and I’ve gone on week long live aboard dive trips ) and twisty roads when I’m the passenger (DH keeps a pack in his car just for me). It makes me a little drowsy, but it’s much better than dramamine for me. Dramamine makes me very drowsy. As said above, take it an hour before you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bonine = Non-drowsy Dramamine

It has been a god send to me. I get very sick on plane flights without it, but am fine with it. Do take it a good hour before hand.

We went on a whale watching tour out of Boston some time ago and waters were very choppy. Most of our group was sick and one of our friends’ kid threw up. I was queasy but nothing terrible. I think the worst case scenario is that it helps a lot and you are somewhat queasy but worth it for the experience.

I have never noticed it making me drowsy.

I've used scopolamine multiple times with no ill effects, including drowsiness. It was so awesome. I put it on behind my ear, and it lasts several days. I don't even notice it is there. I was worried about skin irritation, but did not have any (I get reactions to thing like medical adhesive tape, and that support tape athletes use.)

The pressure point wristbands didn't work for me, FYI. Dramamine made me sleepy as heck.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I have had motion sickness my entire life so it is better as an adult but still present if I ride in the backseat, or with someone who is a hard breaker, planes with a lot of turbulence and boats in choppy waters are not good.

I have taken both Dramamine and Bonnie, including the non-drowsy formula, and both make me extremely drowsy. However they do both help with motion sickness but I felt like I was extremely tired for the next 12 hours.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast