Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Rent car or not?

Sorry to clarify- mom will be driving to pick us up. Dad will be passenger. It’s still an early start, long drive for him as passenger.

Mum and dad do have another much older car that I don’t want to drive - Mum said it’s been fixed though it’s so old that it breaks down a lot. So they do have 2 cars. I could coordinate to drive the newer more reliable car (these are relative terms as it’s an old car too, just not as old). and Mum uses the older car on times need to coordinate. Mum volunteers a lot in local town and often has meetings, but it’s a short drive (5 mins). If I’m going to see my friend, it’s a longer drive. But I wouldn’t want her to drive that old car either - it passed road worthy so it can be driven, it’s just always a prayer if it’ll start.

Actually now that I’m thinking about older car, they didn’t drive it much for years as dad had a newer car (Dad got in an accident a couple months back and that car was written off, that’s when they said dad wouldn’t drive again.) Then they put money into fixing the older car, which doesn’t make sense with only Mum driving and her car is ok. Maybe they were fixing it so when we visit, there’s 2 cars?!
    Ack, I hope not as I’m sure they put more into it than a rental would cost?!

I’m on the fence about renting. If I did rent, I would go on shorter trips into town with DS alone, which could be a nice break. Even though I could do that with their car on days we’re just at home, I might be less likely to do it - though I could make myself do it, Mum and dad wouldn’t mind. I tend to be homebody and I’m fine to just stay there, but the break could be good for DS. If my younger sister will be there at the same time, I’ll need a car I can control so I can leave with DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 07-03-2018 at 03:57 PM.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I personally always rent a car for family visits, if we don't drive there. We love our families, but autonomy is a big deal to me and I don't like to just sit around at a relative's house for days or repeatedly take off in someone else's car (especially in a situation where there isn't an extra car to use). I need to be able to go when and where I want and I like to explore new things or revisit old faves even in our relatives' home towns.

I was thinking don't rent, then I read the part about your dad and changed to rent, but with added info about the second car I don't know! I guess the deciding factor for me is how much the ride to the airport will take out of your dad.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Default Rent car or not?

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    I personally always rent a car for family visits, if we don't drive there. We love our families, but autonomy is a big deal to me and I don't like to just sit around at a relative's house for days or repeatedly take off in someone else's car (especially in a situation where there isn't an extra car to use). I need to be able to go when and where I want and I like to explore new things or revisit old faves even in our relatives' home towns.
    This exactly. I would rent especially when you are in the middle of nowhere, and especially with my child along on the trip. No way could I just sit at a house for two weeks or need to ask to borrow the car. Sorry to hear about your dad and hope you have a good visit. With a car you can explore and show your son more of the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Update: So I ended up not renting a car. We have a more than expected house repair and that pushed me to not renting. Dad was fine on the trip to the airport, he was passenger and mum drove. He commented on picking us up, mum said he was very excited for days leading up to our arrival. We’ve done day trips with them and I’ve been driving dad to his appointments. DS and I have been helping with projects they need extra hand or extra strength. I will though rent if DH comes on a trip - too many to fit in their car and he needs to get out and about more than DS and I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm glad you're having a good trip. Just b/c you didn't rent this trip doesn't mean you cant/shouldn't on another. Who knows how things might change for your next visit. Enjoy this trip before you start planning or worrying about the next.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2