Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Is anyone else just riveted by the story of the Thai soccer team trapped in a cave?

I just can’t stop thinking about this story. I was beyond elated to hear that they have been found but they’re still not totally safe and they can’t figure out how to get them out! I find myself searching the news every few hours. I must say, being stuck in a cave is probably one of my worst fears. Lately anything with children in perilous situations is starting to affect my sleep. Anyone else following this? What news stories are grabbing you?

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How did they get stuck in there in the first place?? I missed that part of the story.

I’ve been following it and sort of surprised at how little attention it gets as this sort of story goes (kids in peril). I honestly think if they were blonde kids the world would pay more attention. I was so relieved they were found and now the challenge of getting them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’ve been following this. I don’t know how they’ll get them out. DH and I did a lot of scuba diving pre-DS, DH was an assistant instructor and i was a master diver. We both did a rescue diver course and DH did a cave diving course. The diving they’re talking about is very, very difficult. I can’t imagine doing it and they’re talking about doing it with kids. I hope it stops raining so it’s easier to get them out

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve been thinking about this a lot because my son is in that age range and I’m just imagining how he would manage in such a situation and how their families are managing. I’m sure all of us are thinking the same thing. I truly hope they get them out safely… I know the families were elated to see their faces on the Video, but it’s not over yet.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I read this morning that they are pumping out water as fast as they can, but that it took experienced divers 4 hours to reach the cave, so getting the boys out who are not experienced (some can't even swim) will be dangerous. They are hoping to get the water down to a level where they can swim them out without needing to outfit the boys with scuba equipment.

In the meantime they have supplies/fresh water and warming suits for the boys (I can't imagine what their skin is like after being in the water that long.

I too am shocked that this story isn't more front and center, and agree, if these were American/Canadian or even kids from Western Europe there would be more coverage.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard there are parts of the voyage out that require climbing gear, other parts that are too narrow for SCUBA gear, and the boys don’t know how to swim. How terrrifying. I’m really still worried for them. I’m also in awe of the rescuers who are so brave and determined.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They can get scuba gear in their, it's just so narrow that it's very difficult, and the water is muddy and there are strong currents as well. One article I just read said if they can't get them out, they'll bring in enough supplies until monsoon season is over in Sept/Oct!!!!

The best scenario is that they have a stationary rope and that they have divers with each kid and pass them along from diver to diver so the kids don't have to have an o2 tank on their backs. They need to get special masks for the kids first and are teaching them how to swim.

They do have decent communication and have been able to allow the kids parents to see that they are ok. The pictures are amazing and the boys seem to be doing ok so far.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    They can get scuba gear in their, it's just so narrow that it's very difficult, and the water is muddy and there are strong currents as well. One article I just read said if they can't get them out, they'll bring in enough supplies until monsoon season is over in Sept/Oct!!!!

The best scenario is that they have a stationary rope and that they have divers with each kid and pass them along from diver to diver so the kids don't have to have an o2 tank on their backs. They need to get special masks for the kids first and are teaching them how to swim.

They do have decent communication and have been able to allow the kids parents to see that they are ok. The pictures are amazing and the boys seem to be doing ok so far.
    The issue I think is the air supply. A regulator can get knocked out of the mouth, a full face mask can get knocked too. If visibility was better the adult diver can provide assistance, but I read it’s muddy water. If it’s diving short stretches, then that would be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hope they can get out safely and soon. I remember being so scared for them as I kept reading the CNN articles titled "Time is running out" before they were found and after nine days had elapsed. Thank goodness they were found.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast