Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anyone know how they got there?

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    Anyone know how they got there?
    They were exploring the cave when it started raining. They got trapped when the cave flooded. An article I read said they were a half-mile under ground and over a mile from the entrance.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    The issue I think is the air supply. A regulator can get knocked out of the mouth, a full face mask can get knocked too. If visibility was better the adult diver can provide assistance, but I read it’s muddy water. If it’s diving short stretches, then that would be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Along those lines, I read that the path to get out is a lot of long stretches where there is no way to surface. So if something does go wrong, they are stuck underwater and can't come up to fix problems.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

I heard they had been found a couple days ago, and I assumed that was the end of it. It wasn’t until today that I heard they were still trying to figure out how to get them out. Those poor boys!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot because my son is in that age range and I’m just imagining how he would manage in such a situation and how their families are managing. I’m sure all of us are thinking the same thing. I truly hope they get them out safely… I know the families were elated to see their faces on the Video, but it’s not over yet.
    This is how I feel too

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I’ve been following it and sort of surprised at how little attention it gets as this sort of story goes (kids in peril). I honestly think if they were blonde kids the world would pay more attention. I was so relieved they were found and now the challenge of getting them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While that may be true, I heard about this last week, well before they were found. It was a pretty big story. I have been obsessed!!

Yes, to all who said they have kids the same age who play competitive soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I can’t imagine what the families are going through hearing that one of the options is for them to stay there for four months until the water levels recede.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve been obsessed with this story too. My DS is a 13 year old soccer player whose best friends are all his soccer teammates. They’re dressed just like all my DS’s friends. Breaks my heart and leaves me choked up every time I check up on the story and I’m terrified they aren’t all going to make it as none of the options sound fail proof.

The dive sounds treacherous for the most expert of divers and none of those boys can even swim. I just don’t think the odds are good for getting all 13 out without any problems.

One thing that I haven’t heard much about is if the rescuers have any reason to be confident that this cavern they’re in won’t flood during monsoon season. Do they really know if it will stay dry?

I’ve also heard that the monsoon season might make the cavern totally inaccessible for supply runs and communications for months, but I don’t quite get how it changes to being inaccessible if they’re already having to scuba dive in.

On a very trivial note, I feel bad they’re missing the World Cup! If they have to stay, maybe they can bring in videos of all the games to help pass the time.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Is anyone else just riveted by the story of the Thai soccer team trapped in a cave?

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    Along those lines, I read that the path to get out is a lot of long stretches where there is no way to surface. So if something does go wrong, they are stuck underwater and can't come up to fix problems.
    Typically divers can fix problems under water, you don’t want to go up as that causes other problems. A good friend is an instructor and DH would dive with him as his assistant. This friend has a death stare, eye to eye and slows your breathing down, so you stop panicking and fixes the problem. He had to do it to me once when I first started diving.

Issue with the cave is lack of visibility and narrow space to dive in. Leaving them there doesn’t sound like an option either though

I have been following the story. Amazing and a relief that they were able to survive just with water for 10 days.

Also, obviously survival is the most important thing to the kids, but I was thinking that it must be really exhausting in terms of being uncomfortable and monotonous for the kids to just sit there waiting.

And finally, I watched the video of the rescuer talking to the boys and they seem so different than I would imagine a group of kids huddled and fearful to appear - the kids seemed relatively quiet when the rescuer appeared (not saying that they weren't, just that their body language wasn't jumping up and energetic). When the rescuer came out of the water, he would have been a complete surprise for the kids and up to that moment, they would have increasingly feared the worst. I am not judging at all, obviously, just curious.

I wondered whether it's just that they are so exhausted and psychologically shocked that they responded to the rescuers that way; of maybe it's cultural?; or maybe the video wasn't good because it didn't capture the first moments the rescuer came out (if it didn't); or maybe if we could listen to the exchange in the children's language, we could pick up on more.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 07-05-2018 at 03:44 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast