Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I used to be size 12-14 and found my best finds at NY&Co, Ann Taylor and Macy's. Especially for skirts.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Quick....need reasonably priced interview separates!

So I struck out at Ann Taylor Outlet. I found a pair of black pants that worked, but the matching jacket was too small in one size and too boxy in the next size up. The skirts ran probably a size small; I tried the 16 and it was tight.

I found a light tan Calvin Klein jacket at Macy’s that was prefect, but they were out of the pants in the size I needed.

I do have a black jacket from Talbots (forgot about it), but the skirt that goes with it is a little tight right now so that won’t work, but I could go to Talbots and see if they have the matching skirt now.

I also read a few articles online that said a full suit may not be required at all jobs. The job I am interviewing for is a civil service job with the State of California, and in general the state has a business casual dress code. So I remembered I just got this dress from Stitch Fix and wonder if it would work in a pinch, and I don’t think it needs a jacket (it is suppose to be in the 90s on Monday). The dress has cap sleeves, so it isn’t sleeveless.

I don’t think I am going to be able to avoid going to one of the larger malls this weekend so we will see what I find, and hope that the stores stock a 14 and maybe even a 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-06-2018 at 01:31 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I would go to nearest Nordstrom and tell them your budget. They have POV suit separates and plenty of dresses that would fit your budget or hit Macy’s. The dress you posted doesn’t say interview to me as looks less structured but you know the dress code better for your industry. Wear what makes you feel confident. And good luck!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

As much as I like that dress, I don't think I would wear it. The lace makes it more casual for an interview. It would be fine for a business dinner but not quite right for an interview.

Default Quick....need reasonably priced interview separates!

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I would go to nearest Nordstrom and tell them your budget. They have POV suit separates and plenty of dresses that would fit your budget or hit Macy’s. The dress you posted doesn’t say interview to me as looks less structured but you know the dress code better for your industry. Wear what makes you feel confident. And good luck!

I looked online last night and the Anne Klein and Halogen separates they list are available in 14 online only.....I hate this trend....in my area in past experience you can easily get 00-10; maybe 12 in POV at Nordstrom and plenty of plus sizes in store, but sizes 14-16 (no I don’t need a 1x because it is too boxy all over) are really hard to come by even slightly less expensive options like JCrew, Banana, or budget brands like Express or NY& Co. ; The Limited always did a better job of having lots of sizes or at least vanity sizing to a point.

At this point I am hoping that Macy’s will come through and I can find the pants that match the suit jacket I like or I actually find something in person at one of the larger Nordstroms.

This is the bad thing about having big hips and thighs and living in an uber fit area of the country.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-06-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think you need to have a matching jacket and pants/skirt. One of my favorite business outfits to wear is a black jacket with a black tank/shell, and taupe pants, or black pants and a black tank/shell with a gray or taupe jacket. It looks pulled together and you're only mixing 2 colors, which don't need to match in fabric. It's my secret sauce because I don't have matching suit separates that fit me. Add an additional color in your jewelry. It's boring and basic but also fail-proof!

eta: If that dress is solid black with no lace (I can't tell from the pic), it might work with a taupe/beige jacket. If there's lace, then agree with PP to not wear it.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-06-2018 at 12:14 PM.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Chiming in to say that at least in my field, even if the employer is business casual, interviews are still formal. I know it sucks with the weather, but there a lighter/thinner fabrics out there. Have you tried Dress Barn? They have suit separates, reasonably priced and most are by Jones NY.

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    Chiming in to say that at least in my field, even if the employer is business casual, interviews are still formal. I know it sucks with the weather, but there a lighter/thinner fabrics out there. Have you tried Dress Barn? They have suit separates, reasonably priced and most are by Jones NY.
    Thanks....I think there is a Dress Barn near me.....

I still haven’t checked out NY& Co.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check Express. It’s a horrible shopping experience (loud music, other clothes look slutty) but they have multiple sizes and fits of pants and are reasonably priced. I’ve bought stuff there on short notice when I hadn’t realized my old suits had moth holes or didn’t fit after pregnancy etc.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Check Express. It’s a horrible shopping experience (loud music, other clothes look slutty) but they have multiple sizes and fits of pants and are reasonably priced. I’ve bought stuff there on short notice when I hadn’t realized my old suits had moth holes or didn’t fit after pregnancy etc.
    Aw, I like Express! Definitely wouldn’t say the music was loud. Your slutty= club clothes. Not what I’m shopping for but they do have good options for OP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast