Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    How long? I think healthy, well styled shoulder/collarbone length hair is just fine. I don’t personally think longer hair does women in their 40s any favors, but of course there are exceptions to every rule!
    My goes way down my back, lol. Recently there are a couple of people in the news (because of politics) that I am told I look like--Ivanka Trump and Pam Bondi. That's what my hair looks like (I see the resemblance to Pam Bondi much more).

Disclaimer: I just look like these people. I offer no opinion on this forum about how I feel about them!

I seriously wonder though if I"m getting too old. I don't feel 42!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I’ve heard as you get older you need to choose between your face and your butt. In order for your face to look nice, your butt needs to be bigger than you want it to be. If your butt looks great, then your face looks too thin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is hysterical. I guess I could just consider that my somewhat larger than I'd like to have butt is keeping me youthful looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    You are clearly quite expert at these things! Am I wrong that there has been some recent research that retinol is not being recommended for anti-aging anymore? I think I remember that the improvement is due to irritation which has a long term DETRIMENTAL effect on the skin. I will try to see if I can find where I read that. I was using prescription Retin-A for some adult acne a few years back. I didn't notice a huge anti-aging boon but I do feel like when I stopped using it (because my skin cleared up when I changed foundations) that my skin all the sudden looked worse than ever before with more visible lines. This could be a total coincidence since all of it took place around age 40 but when I read the research it really stuck out in my mind!
    Retinol is controversial because it is a known reproductive and developmental toxin. It can speed the growth of malignant lesions. That said, it’s really effective so it’s understandably popular!

There are more and more skincare lines that do not contain retinol, and they are getting better every day. I use (and sell) Beautycounter for my skincare and LOVE it. I am personally not looking to complete arrest the signs of aging, I’d just like to age gracefully and slowly .
    Green Tea, mom to three

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    RetinA
    Sunscreen
    Lifting heavy weights
    Hair dye/ highlights (I went mostly gray around 28..)
    Lots of vegetables and lean proteins

Lately I’ve been realizing how much my eyebrows have thinned. I got this brow color paste/wax and it makes a big difference on my face with very minimal time spent on makeup.

Will probably do Botox once the time comes.
    Can you add a link to the brow color paste/wax you use?
    TIA!
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by babyonway View Post
    Can you add a link to the brow color paste/wax you use?
    TIA!
    It’s this one https://m.sephora.com/product/dipbrow-pomade-P384060
    It’s a huge jar and will last forever. It also comes in a pencil and that seems to take longer for me to do and runs out more quickly. There are also a bunch of colors so you can find a good match.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    It’s this one https://m.sephora.com/product/dipbrow-pomade-P384060
    It’s a huge jar and will last forever. It also comes in a pencil and that seems to take longer for me to do and runs out more quickly. There are also a bunch of colors so you can find a good match.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Seeing as I'm pushing 50 (how can that be!?!?), one thing I've realized is that I need to do what works for me. As much as I'd love to get rid of my "11s" I'm too scared to do Botox (or whatever I'd need). I've started doing keratin hair treatments - I've done them before but never regularly but I'm going to now. My hair is wavy (and not in a good way) so being able to wash my hair, let it air dry, and have it still look good is huge for me. And when I want to style it, it's soooo much easier and faster.
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Wow thanks for all of this. What type of filler was used for your undereye area?
    Yes I'd also like to know this. A long time ago (like over a decade) I saw someone get undereye filler done on tv (I feel like it was on Regis and Kelly - that's how long ago) and it freaked me out. But my undereyes are ALOT worse now so it might be time to be brave lol.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My doc used Restylane and Belotero. She used a mix because my pale skin and something to do with how one of them can look a bit colored too near the surface. She likes to do undereye filler with a followup a week or two later, to see if any more should be added, since she goes in with a light hand on the first appointment. A doctor would access the best type for you based on your skin and situation, though.

I was nervous about it as well, since I had never done filler and anything near my eyes is understandably scary. But they don't use a needle by your eye - it's a cannula that enters near the top of your cheekbone and can move around to where it needs to go. Most undereye fillers are also the type that can be dissolved if you don't like the look.

I do think it is extremely important to go to a very skilled dermatologist, because it really all comes down to the doctor, not the filler. But it's usually pretty easy to hunt down the big players in your city.

But how long do fillers last? That's the thing for me. It's all I can do to get my hair colored every 6 weeks. I don't have time for lots of upkeep. Like I could see getting my eyelids lifted--I am actually going to call my health insurance about this. I think if I went to the DMV to get the test done, I could pass! And maybe a small tuck on the side of my face. But Botox--no thanks. I don't have time and it really doesn't look good when it wears off--SIL looks vastly different when she goes too long. But if it is a one time thing then I could maybe do it. And then there is the cost. I went in for a face lift/botox/blah blah blah consult and with professional discounts (DH is an MD) it would have been $11K. That's cheap. But that would pay for a LOT of things!!!!

The one thing that keeps me younger--and I am 53!!!--is exercise. I train for and race Olympic distance tris and I do a week long backpack every year in some tough places. (I have done the Grand Canyon 6 times--4 from the North Rim and different trails every time) People think I am younger than I am because I am so active and because my kids are younger (I had DD at 40). I am not skinny by any means--just height and weight proportionate and right now I need to lose 10 pounds. My face is my main issue but I take after my mom so there you go.

At some point, you embrace where you are. It is easier because I live in a place where, and I associate with people who, value what you can do vs. how you look. Sure there are those moms who are all about plastic surgery etc. And then there are the people I know who are busy running races or singing in the opera or doing things. My value doesn't come from my looks. It comes from who I am. I do like looking attractive and I think getting face work done or body work done is a totally personal decision. I know at least 2 people who got breast augmentation because they just had no boobs and their clothes didn't fit right and it made them so self conscious. Good for them. I really hate my eyelids and I will be thrilled to get them done. But that isn't going to make me smarter or happier or make my kids/husband love me more.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast