jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How much money for the arcade?

I’ll preface this by saying I hate arcades. I think they’re a huge waste of money and never take my kids. DS1 will be going with his summer camp to places that have arcades. I’m having him use his money for the games. How much should he take? He came down with $50 this morning and I told him that was too much. Thoughts on an amount? He’ll likely go three more times in the next two weeks. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is it somewhere like Dave and Busters? Their games are pricey. But, $20 would be my max. I might do closer to $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids’ summer camp gives them a set amount to use for the arcades when they go to those kind of places. It is part of the expense we pay for the camp. If that is not the case for your son, then I’d send him with $15 or $20. Since you said he is going several more times I’d probably go with $15 though. I feel badly for the kids though, because some may only bring a couple of dollars while others bring a lot, so they will be left sitting there with nothing to do. That is why I like how my kids’ camp does it. Once their prepaid card is done, that is it. They are not allowed to bring any money of their own.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yickes, Four times in 2 weeks?? Even if you only allow $10 per time, that's 40 bucks!! $15 = 60 bucks!

I'd have a hard time watching my kid blow that much of his money on arcade games. One or two times, I'd count as a learning thing, "See how fast so much money goes, now you have nothing to show for it". But 4?

I'd probably grumpily give him some fun money from me and then allow him to blow some of his own money. But, I'm just not sure re: the amounts. Honestly, I'd probably just not send him all four times (unless it was a daycare type situation?).

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    My kids’ summer camp gives them a set amount to use for the arcades when they go to those kind of places. It is part of the expense we pay for the camp. If that is not the case for your son, then I’d send him with $15 or $20. Since you said he is going several more times I’d probably go with $15 though. I feel badly for the kids though, because some may only bring a couple of dollars while others bring a lot, so they will be left sitting there with nothing to do. That is why I like how my kids’ camp does it. Once their prepaid card is done, that is it. They are not allowed to bring any money of their own.
    The camp goes to do the activity at the center. So go karts, bowling, laser tag,ropes climbing course, etc. I think at some places they get a preloaded card for video games but he said the other kids had money they used to add to the card. So on Tuesday they got a card with $10 from the camp and he added $20 to his card but he said it wasn’t enough. I need to make sure he’s doing the activity and not just hanging out in the arcade. I gave him spending money last week but am making him use his own money this week and next week. I’ll give him $5 per trip for snack bar but anything else up to $20 per trip comes out of his money. He’s been saving for some big Lego sets and I think he’s going to surprised to see how little he has if he keeps spending at the arcade. I guess it’s a good lesson to learn though.
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    The camp goes to do the activity at the center. So go karts, bowling, laser tag,ropes climbing course, etc. I think at some places they get a preloaded card for video games but he said the other kids had money they used to add to the card. So on Tuesday they got a card with $10 from the camp and he added $20 to his card but he said it wasn’t enough. I need to make sure he’s doing the activity and not just hanging out in the arcade. I gave him spending money last week but am making him use his own money this week and next week. I’ll give him $5 per trip for snack bar but anything else up to $20 per trip comes out of his money. He’s been saving for some big Lego sets and I think he’s going to surprised to see how little he has if he keeps spending at the arcade. I guess it’s a good lesson to learn though.
    Those sound like the place my kids go to sometimes. They have to do the main activity, and then get a card. However, they aren’t allowed to add more money to their card. Given your new details, I’d make him take his own money, but try to keep it to $10 or less.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2's camp has the option to go to mini golf every Monday and there's an arcade there. Every kid is given a preloaded card, but it only has $2.50 on it. DS2 sometimes brings his own money, from his allowance, to add more money. He usually brings an additional $5. His other friend usually brings $10.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Default How much money for the arcade?

Thanks for all the advice! DS1 just got home. He said they pick buddies and have to stay together while they’re on the trip. His buddy had $2 and he had $20 so they decided to pool their money and just do everything together. I was so glad to hear they did that!! I’m going to give him the $20 he spent today and hope he decides to share again. We can afford it and truth be told I can spend $20 in Target on junk in 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! DS1 just got home. He said they pick buddies and have to stay together while they’re on the trip. His buddy had $2 and he had $20 so they decided to pool their money and just do everything together. I was so glad to hear they did that!! I’m going to give him the $20 he spent today and hope he decides to share again. We can afford it and truth be told I can spend $20 in Target on junk in 5 minutes.i

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    That was so sweet of your son!

$20. Games are expensive and won’t get far with $10. I hate them too but as part of a camp or one odd occasion would be fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk