Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Car not passing inspection, WWYD?

I've been in the precontemplation phase about a new car for a few months now. I drive a 2011 Subaru Outback with ~120k miles.

A few months ago we replaced the timing chain ($800), bought new tires ($400), and took it into the mechanic today because it needed an oil change, inspection, and my brakes had been grinding. It did need new brakes ($400) but they said it didn't pass inspection because the catalytic converter is cracked. That's a $1500 repair.

DH doesn't want to spend $1500 on this car, especially for something not safety related. His idea is that I drive around for another year with an expired inspection sticker, then we buy a new car next year. I'm a little tired of sinking money into this car as well, but I don't really love the idea of driving around illegally for that length of time. I think we either need to fix the car, or otherwise just trade it in and buy a new one. I'm worried if we fix it that in the next year, it will require another big repair and/or be worth even less in trade.

We can pay cash for a new car. DH's reasoning is that if we keep the car longer, we will have to buy less cars in our lifetime, and therefore save money. I would like to have a new car, and get the new safety and convenience features that my car doesn't have like blind spot monitors, being able to link to my phone, etc.

WWYD?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I know in our area the cops look for expired inspection stickers and even have checkpoints set up some weekends. So I wouldn't take the risk of the ticket(s) I know I would be getting. FWIW, my DH got pulled over for his expired sticker when it was 2 days overdue.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Get a new car. This is crazy! I would understand if you couldn’t afford it, but if you can afford to pay for a new car in cash, I would just do it
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What is the penalty for driving w/an expired sticker? Where I am, its considered a moving violation so I would not plan on driving w/it expired for that long. I'm assuming you got a rejection sticker? how long is that good for? I'd just suck it up and buy the new car now since you can clearly afford it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just bought an '18 outback, the '19 will all have the annoying lane beep and more electronics that can go. Get it now.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We accidentally missed the deadline for inspection this past year (they changed how they are timed just recently and I didn’t realize). Checkpoint day after Thanksgiving- $150 ticket but the officer said to get it fixed, plead not guilty and show up in court. It was hard as heck to find someone to inspect the car as it was the end of the month. Super stressful.
    Just buy a new car and be done. Your dh is fundamentally cheap. It sucks to have sunk the $ into those recent repairs but cut your losses and go new. FWIW, we had a 0% loan. We were prepared to pay cash but saw no reason to. I replaced my 2010 car back in 2016 and I love all the new safety tech. And knowing that it’s not likely to break for quite a while. No unexpected repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    What is the penalty for driving w/an expired sticker? Where I am, its considered a moving violation so I would not plan on driving w/it expired for that long. I'm assuming you got a rejection sticker? how long is that good for? I'd just suck it up and buy the new car now since you can clearly afford it.
    Yes it's a moving violation (points on license). They didn't complete the inspection, so no rejection sticker?

In fairness, my dad routinely goes 2-3 years between inspections in our same state and has only gotten a ticket once or twice in 30 years.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Yes it's a moving violation (points on license). They didn't complete the inspection, so no rejection sticker?

In fairness, my dad routinely goes 2-3 years between inspections in our same state and has only gotten a ticket once or twice in 30 years.
    No but the sticker is expired and police do notice things like that. Get the new / safer car. I just replaced my 10 yr old honda ody with a 18 Pacifica and the new features are amazing.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I think you should get a new car for reasons others have already listed.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Only if he would switch cars with you would I think about this! My DH is notorious for waiting a couple of months to get an inspection sticker! I refuse to drive his car if it is not up to date!

If you are planning on keeping the car for another year or two, you could just get it fixed! Maybe even get a second opinion and see if there is a less expensive option for the car to be inspected and safe to drive, while still keeping it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast