Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by daniele_ut View Post
    Replacing the timing chain is a maintenance issue you will deal with on any car, as are tires and brakes, so I wouldn’t consider those to be a problem with the vehicle.
    Agree. Replacing a timing chain, tires, and brakes on a car with 120,000+ miles is general maintenance.

If I was planning to buy a new car in a year like OP, I’d certainly consider going ahead early rather than this new $1500 repair if I knew exactly what I wanted. But if I didn’t, I would probably repair and wait just because I hate feeling pressure and I prefer to wait until the end of the year to buy vehicles. No way would I drive with an expired sticker. I know people do it purposefully and get away with it, but I have no respect for those people. I'm glad DH is off that now.
    Last edited by specialp; 07-15-2018 at 05:14 PM.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Some people need to have time to process and think things through before they come up with the real "solution" that would work for them. I have a family member like that. They say "no" to something or disagree with an idea that is not their own, until they have time to process all of the facts. I'm glad he came around to the fact that it needs to be fixed or replaced...!
    This is definitely DH, definitely with anything financial.

We went to test drive the Subaru ascent today since we saw it in the lot when we went to pick up my car. I liked it a lot but DH thought it was too big and he would be intimidated to drive it.

The whole process was so much less painful than I think either of us expected. We waited about 10 minutes, the sales man handed us keys, we installed our car seats and drove off. Drove home and tried it in our garage, on the highway, etc. so kudos to Subaru for that.

Then on the way back drove by Lexus and DH really wants to look at the rx350L. So we will!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We accidentally missed the deadline for inspection this past year (they changed how they are timed just recently and I didn’t realize). Checkpoint day after Thanksgiving- $150 ticket but the officer said to get it fixed, plead not guilty and show up in court. It was hard as heck to find someone to inspect the car as it was the end of the month. Super stressful.
    Just buy a new car and be done. Your dh is fundamentally cheap. It sucks to have sunk the $ into those recent repairs but cut your losses and go new. FWIW, we had a 0% loan. We were prepared to pay cash but saw no reason to. I replaced my 2010 car back in 2016 and I love all the new safety tech. And knowing that it’s not likely to break for quite a while. No unexpected repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. The car before this one was O% interest so much nicer to keep earning money and just pay it off at zero percent. If that is an option at all for the models you are considering. This car, just paid for it outright. Evaluate your emergency fund and reserves and then bite the bullet and buy a new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5