Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can afford a new vehicle. You know yours is likely on its last legs and needs expensive repairs to meet environmental standards. This would be a different discussion if you were living paycheck to paycheck and struggling to put food in the table but based on this and other posts you're clearly not.

Just get a new vehicle, or compromise with DH by buying excellent condition used if that is an option for your desired make/model. When we purchased our Odyssey the used models in our area weren't a substantial savings over new.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Car not passing inspection, WWYD?

If you can pay cash then get a new car...that is a huge bummer about the luck you are having with your Subaru.

I have a 2017 Outback and you can turn off the lane departure warnings on mine. The Rear active branding is kind of annoying too, but overall I am very happy with the car and I do like the eyesight function and the beeping when a car is too close in front of you. I drive in a lot of stop n go traffic though.

FWIW: we got a 0% loan on ours as well, and then put the entire VW buyback check on the auto loan once we turned in the VW so that helped us out a ton. We will have this car paid off in 10 months; so 30 months after purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Buy a new car. If your DH insists on waiting, tell him to trade cars with you (assuming his car is fine to drive.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Car not passing inspection, WWYD?

I’d either fix and keep a little longer or buy new car. We had similar issue, we had the catalytic converter stolen for the precious metals - we had to replace it then we sold it, as we were getting ready to buy. It was earlier than wanted to buy, but we were done as had a few costly repairs in a row. Your trade in value will be less if you don’t do the repair, as it’s not passing inspection. We just ate the cost as wanted to be done. It was DHs car and he had waited awhile to replace as it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I drive same year Subaru Outback as yours, and while I don't have as many miles on mine as yours. it's only 80 something k on mine, but if I was faced with same situation as you are with my, I would totally trade it in for newer vehicle.

I recall you also have long highway commute too, so safety and not risking a moving violation on my license would prompt me to do the trade in. If dh objects, then HE can drive the Subaru with expired tags and YOU get the new car with your income since money isn't an issue for you.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Fine. He can drive the car with the expired tags.

You are 50% of the decision making power. Remember that.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Your dh’s unwillingness to part with money is quite incredible. Definitely get a new car, you got a lot of use out of the current one, and it clearly has reached the money pit stage. Or get the catalytic converter repaired. But don’t drive around with an expired inspection sticker when rhere is no financial reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Your dh’s unwillingness to part with money is quite incredible. Definitely get a new car, you got a lot of use out of the current one, and it clearly has reached the money pit stage. Or get the catalytic converter repaired. But don’t drive around with an expired inspection sticker when rhere is no financial reason to do so.
    We all love to save money, but driving around with an expired inspection sticker (for a year!) is not the way to do it. If he wants to save money, buy a car that's a few years old.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I'd fix the car, $1500 isn't a lot. I drive a 2006, I spent $150 on a new stereo several years ago so I could Bluetooth connect my phone. I'm not planning to get rid of my 2006 anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We accidentally missed the inspection date on my car a couple of years ago. I was pulled and given a ticket within 2 weeks. I don't think you're going to go a year without someone catching you. Go ahead & get a new one!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast