Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your DH is nuts! Get a new car.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Get a new car.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Putting aside the environmental harm your vehicle is causing with the amount you drive and the fact that your dh feels as if he is exempt from the law, I’m pretty sure MA has pretty tough penalties for driving with a failed vehicle testing sticker. I think it counts as a moving violation in MA (even though it’s not), so your insurance will go up.

Let’s say someone hits you from behind to no fault of your own. Cops come - you get a ticket that amounts to increased insurance premiums for years plus the cost of a ticket. Doesn’t seem worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I missed renewing my plates by a month out of sheer forgetfulness and was pulled over just for that. You won’t get away with it. Fix the car or buy a new one.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

He thinks it would be ok since many years ago, before we were married, I did have an expired sticker for a while. Just due to being busy and not a very responsible car owner, not due to anything wrong with the car. So he thinks me being concerned about it now is just an “excuse”.

Thing is I was perfectly happy to wait until next year before this came up so now he’s mad we did tires/brakes/timing belt but I think it’s all calculated into the cost of the trade anyway if the car needed all of that it would be worth hardly anything. And I didn’t want to be driving on worn out brakes even the few weeks it may take us to pick something out.

It’s funny though most things he is very rule oriented like getting building permits for work done on the house and paying taxes and insurance for the nanny. Which all costs money too.

He says he will do what I want but I can tell he isn’t happy. I didn’t feel like reminding him that he traded his 6 year old Civic for a new Subaru Legacy when we moved to New England just cause he was worried about driving in the snow.

Obeying the law is not an “excuse”. Cars need repairs and maintenance. Older cars need more repairs and maintenance. It is not your fault that these things have happened.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow. In CA that would not fly. I got pulled over once on the last day of the month as a “reminder” by a cop that I needed to change the sticker before the next day. So it would be noticed! Also, I got a parking ticket on the PCH in Malibu when my stickers were in my glove compartment but my car was parked. ($200 ticket—oh Malibu!) Then there was the time when I was first married and my “fix it” tickets went to my parents old address and I never got it and then $10 fix (to put the stickers on and have it checked at the station) ballooned to $575. (I got that reduced back to $10 but lost a day of work at the courthouse to do it!)

I would bill it as penny wise and pound foolish. Cars just aren’t investments, they are expenses and unpredictable ones at that. I’m sorry!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

He says he will do what I want but I can tell he isn’t happy. I didn’t feel like reminding him that he traded his 6 year old Civic for a new Subaru Legacy when we moved to New England just cause he was worried about driving in the snow.
    So he can be unhappy. That’s passive aggressive BS, I’m too old and busy to deal with that. Decide what you want to do, and do it. He’s saying “do what you want” so take him at his word. I don’t mess around with cars, I do what I need to have a reliable and safe car.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    He thinks it would be ok since many years ago, before we were married, I did have an expired sticker for a while. Just due to being busy and not a very responsible car owner, not due to anything wrong with the car. So he thinks me being concerned about it now is just an “excuse”.

Thing is I was perfectly happy to wait until next year before this came up so now he’s mad we did tires/brakes/timing belt but I think it’s all calculated into the cost of the trade anyway if the car needed all of that it would be worth hardly anything. And I didn’t want to be driving on worn out brakes even the few weeks it may take us to pick something out.

It’s funny though most things he is very rule oriented like getting building permits for work done on the house and paying taxes and insurance for the nanny. Which all costs money too.

He doesn’t have to be happy. You’re not always going to agree on everything but he shouldn’t get to make all the decisions. I would have done exactly what you did. I would have fixed the safety issues on the spot unless I was 100% decided on a new car. In that case, I would have traded it in as is but the trade in value would have reflected the needed repair costs.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    So he can be unhappy. That’s passive aggressive BS, I’m too old and busy to deal with that. Decide what you want to do, and do it. He’s saying “do what you want” so take him at his word.
    Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Your dh’s unwillingness to part with money is quite incredible.
    To both. Too bad you didn't do a poll asking if you should do what your DH suggested, it may have been the first poll where one option got 100%.

Your DH's reasoning that you'll buy fewer cars is laughable.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast