Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Rent car or not?

DS and I will be visiting my parents for 2 weeks. DH isn’t going. When it’s just us 2, we just hang out at my parents and do some day trips with them. They now just have 1 car. I have 1 friend to visit, and I can usually coordinate that around my parents plans or my friend will come pick us up. Previous visits I haven’t gotten a car.

My older sister rents a car as she likes freedom to go somewhere, sees her partner’s family, and she likes to escape a bit each day - she gets up early, goes to beach etc. We’re going in winter so no beach trips. We can walk into town (about 20 mins).

DH and I are trying to save money. Renting a car for the time I’m there we’ll be at least $500 if not a little more. There’s no public transportation, Uber isn’t really established and looking online it’ll be $50 one way to get to most locations (rural area).

If my younger sister will be there, chance she may overlap but hasn’t confirmed that so good chance she won’t be there, I’d rent a car as need to escape will be greater. She and my mom do not get along. Typically when it’s just DS and I, we have a great visit with my parents.

I can only rent at the airport as once get to their house, it’s hour to nearest rental company. I offered to rent so parents don’t have to get up early to drive to airport and mom said that Dad wants to meet us at airport and to let him do this. Dad has Parkinson’s disease, he doesn’t drive anymore, but it’s 1.5 hour drive to airport. They’re insisting to pick us up, but it’s such a long day for them. Mom’s health is fine.

WWYD?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 07-02-2018 at 07:35 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would rent a car so I would have an escape if we needed one. Sometimes my guys are just tired of being “on” and it’s nice to just head out to a park or out for a snack on our own. I think you can make up the $500 somewhere else in the budget or work extra hours at your side job to cover it.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

That’s what I’m thinking ... ugh to disappoint Dad

Rent, you will need the safety net. He will be ok. He is getting a visit with his grandson, sell that to him :-)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking ... ugh to disappoint Dad

Tell him you’re saving h8m the trip because DS wants to hit the ground running when you arrive.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely rent the car. Two weeks is a long time to not have the ability to get out and about on your own time and schedule. I think the cost is worth it.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

are your parents homebodies normally? If so, I wouldnt bother. $500 is a decent chunk of change. if your parents really want to pick you up and dont mind you borrowing the car, then let them. You never know it might be the last time dad 'gets' to pick you up.

if your sister shows up, let her rent the car!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I wouldn't rent one. We frequently visit my parents for 1-3 weeks at a time and never rent a car. We spend the large majority of our time together, and if I ever want/need to go somewhere I take their car. It has never been an issue.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So I wouldn't rent a car for the time you're there -- when I'm at my parents I'm fine just hanging out and we've always been able to easily coordinate borrowing it when needed. But I would NOT be comfortable with my dad who doesn't drive anymore and has Parkinson's driving 1.5 hours to the airport to pick me up (and then do the same as you're leaving, presumably). It just doesn't sound safe for anyone. (unless I'm misinterpreting?)

If you have another way to get to their house from the airport, I'd do that. If you don't, I'd suck it up and rent the car. It's way expensive and I'd hate to spend it, but I just wouldn't be comfortable asking (or "letting") my dad come get me in that situation.
    Lizi

Since this seems to be dependent on family dynamics and timing. *I* wouldn’t rent if I were staying with my parents who I get along well most of the time. Easy enough to coordinate around the one car, as it doesn’t sound like it’s being used that often.

I wouldn’t be comfortable with a non driving father with Parkinson’s to pick us up for a drive of that length though. So on that note, I would rent a car to get yourselves home from the airport, unless you have other reliable method of getting home from airport without a rental?

It’s yes to judge how often you’ll need the car though to justify 500 dollars. If it is something you can come up easily by working extra shift or gig, then I say go for the rental. It just sound better all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast