Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Bikes in the back of a minivan

We are doing a road trip later this summer and renting a minivan. We would like to bring our 4 bikes (2 adult bikes, a 24" and a 20"), but only if we can fit them in the back with the third row down, plus all the stuff we will be hauling with us for a week.

I am going to see if I can swing by the rental place to see how the third row folds town (likely a Dodge Grand Caravan) and maybe try a bike in it, but thought I would tap into the BBB wisdom if this isn't remotely possible. Thanks!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Very unlikely to fit. I can only fit 1-2 bikes in our Odyssey and that is laying them down and stacked, which is not ideal and leaves no room for luggage. A Grand Caravan is shaped slightly different, but I don't think 4 bikes is realistic. You might fit the two kid bikes.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I want to say no also. I have a pacifica and 4 bikes would not fit inside with luggage.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I could fit 2-3 bikes in my old Odyssey and a few small bags. In the newer vans it wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for the good reality check!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Yep, not going to happen. I can fit my kids two bikes (small ladies bike plus 20” boys bike), and perhaps some small bags. There’s no way to get 4 bikes in, let alone luggage too.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do a bike rack on the outside if you really want to bring them, they have such odd shapes they won't fit with luggage too.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can rent a bike rack along with the car. You could also see if someone has a rack you can borrow. I would also look at renting bikes at your destination. I have found it worth the money to rent bikes vs taking them. It’s usually around $100/week for 4 bikes.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    You can rent a bike rack along with the car. You could also see if someone has a rack you can borrow. I would also look at renting bikes at your destination. I have found it worth the money to rent bikes vs taking them. It’s usually around $100/week for 4 bikes.
    I thought about borrowing one too, but the van would have to be outfitted with a tow hitch, and I'm not sure rental vans would have that. It definitely is not standard equipment (my neighbor just had one installed on his new Chrysler minivan).

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not sure where you are staying or if you are changing places frequently ... 4 bikes can be a real pain with getting them in and out of hotels or even vrbos. They also take up a lot of space!! Anyways, something to think about. They also make it hard to access the back of the car. We have found they are great to have for some trips and not so much for others.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast