Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a chrysler Town & country. We can fit kid bikes in the back with the third seat down. But not adult bikes (Or even my son's very much. He's almost 11 and made the jump to a bike that no longer fits so well)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

well, you should def be able to get 4 bikes in. just remove the front wheels and alternate front/back. I can get 2 adult bikes & 2 kid bikes (keeping in mind that my kids are older w/bigger bikes) but nope to the luggage in addition.

before making any decisions, check whether anyone has a rear mount (rather than tow hitch) bike rack and what the rental costs are where you are going.

We just had a similar decision making process when we went to Martha's Vineyard - bikes were $30-$50/day per bike. not so reasonable IMO. Also think about how much biking you will do. On our vacation, dd & I rode daily. dh a few times and dd1 once. We could easily have brought 2 bikes and called it good enough.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I put 2 bigger bikes in with 2 seats still up. Wheels still on, too. I think I could get 2 smaller bikes in as well, if I took wheels off the bigger ones. But luggage would be tough. I put the passenger side seats down/out and that is enough room. But, the 3rd row is not really accessible so that kid gets in before the bikes. I do this just for bike club at the school. I wouldn't want to travel like this for long. It's a 2010 Odyssey.
    Kris

Four bikes wouldn’t fit in our Odyssey even with taking tires off and alternating, and you definitely won’t have room for luggage too. And you may scratch up the hard plastic in the rental trying to figure out how to stuff four bikes in it. I would rent bikes or rent a bike carrier, though most fit two or three bikes and the four bike ones like we have are more expensive to buy and might be harder to rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently had two adult bikes (front wheel removed from one because the handlebars were too high) a 20" kids bike, and a tagalong in the back of my Odyssey. We had the center seat in the second row out as well and had the adult bikes running through there. It wasn't a problem to get those in but I'd hate to even have day bags in addition.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We can fit 2 adult bikes and 2 kids 20 inch bikes in the back of our Odyssey, but it doesn't leave much room for anything else other than backpacks stuffed between the bikes. I would get a Saris Bones rack for the 2 adult bikes (which works great on our Odyssey) and then you'll have plenty of space in the back with the 3rd row down for 2 kids bikes and luggage.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    We can fit 2 adult bikes and 2 kids 20 inch bikes in the back of our Odyssey, but it doesn't leave much room for anything else other than backpacks stuffed between the bikes. I would get a Saris Bones rack for the 2 adult bikes (which works great on our Odyssey) and then you'll have plenty of space in the back with the 3rd row down for 2 kids bikes and luggage.
    Whoa! Can you tell me which bike rack will work on the Odyssey? We have an older one—an 07. We haven’t been able to find one that didn’t require a tow hitch!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Whoa! Can you tell me which bike rack will work on the Odyssey? We have an older one—an 07. We haven’t been able to find one that didn’t require a tow hitch!
    Saris Bones!! That’s what we use on our 08 Odyssey. I seem to remember you can go to their website and it’ll help you select the right one...

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Saris Bones!! That’s what we use on our 08 Odyssey. I seem to remember you can go to their website and it’ll help you select the right one...
    Thanks so much!!

Okay, when we went on sabbatical out of state for 6 months last year, we brought DH's bike and our two big kids' bikes in our Town and Country. I think we definitely could have fit in another adult bike if we'd wanted to. We did stow and go for half of the 2nd and 3rd seats and fit the bikes in easily lengthwise behind the driver's seat. We were driving two cars and I had most of the kids with me in our Pacifica, so I can't speak to how comfortable it would have been on a long road trip with bikes alongside the kids all day, but I could totally make it work to just have the front two seats and then the right 2nd row captain's chair and the single 3rd row seat behind it if I just had to fit in two kids. But we wouldn't have tons of suitcases--we just all went on a weeklong road trip (3 days out, 5 there, 2 days back) with a small (carry-on that could fit under airplane seat) suitcase apiece and a backpack/briefcase each, and we were fine. If you have more gear/luggage, a bike rack seems like it might be a better call.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2