Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Acura MDX?

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Acura MDX?

So we test drove the Subaru Ascent this weekend. It was ok, but the steering is very light, like a toy car, and DH thought it was too big. It's probably bigger than we need. I think I'm also a little bored by Subaru.

DH wants to look at Lexus but I'm not crazy about their styling. We looked at Acura MDX the other day, but didn't get a chance to drive it. I think it's an appropriate size for our family of 4, where we may need the 3rd row a handful of times a month for extra kids or grandparents. Because the Subaru is new and there aren't many discounts, and there are still 2018 MDXs available, the price difference is not that big. I'm particularly interested in their hybrid model, since I have a long commute with some stop and go traffic.

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Thanks!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I don't think you can go wrong, reliability-wise, with an Acura MDX. They are (generally) crazy reliable.

I'd drive it and the Lexus, just to see differences. I'm not super into the Lexus SUVs either, but you never know if it'll grab you until you drive it.

I'd also look into the Infiniti SUVs.....

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think the MDX would be perfect for you. Lovely ride, very practical/reliable/safe with a little bit of luxury thrown in. The third row isn't a great permanent option, but good for two kid families. I do think your carpooling and extra kids in the car will increase substantially in the next 3-5 years - knowing that you keep your cars for awhile, the MDX will grow with you.

My sis has a 2015 with a long commute in sometimes snowy conditions and daily stop n go traffic. She loves her car and finds it excellent in the snow. It's her second one. She drove her other one for almost ten years.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend of mine is on her second MDX. They love it. Two kids too. Her kids are 10 and 8 and play hockey and lacrosse.

I love my MDX. I’m on my second one and it’s perfect for us. We have 2 boys (15,12) who play multiple sports and can easily fit their gear and some teammates if needed. We’re in MA and it’s great in the snow and fun to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Acura MDX?

I have heard nothing but love, but if I couldn’t find one CPO with low miles I would probably just go with the Pilot Elite; unless you don’t like the Pilot styling. We did that in 2006 when we bought our Pilot (initially looked at Acura MDX cpo) and have been happy with it (we have the ex-l, which at the time was the top of the line trim and the only other add ons you could get were navigation and dvd....neither of which we really wanted....I do love having navigation on my Subaru though so I might consider it when we replace our Pilot).

Is the Ascent really that big? I think it is similar in size to the MDX/Pilot (to me it looks like a cross between the Pilot and a lifted Outback....I haven’t seen one in person).

If he thinks the MDX is too big then look at the RDX, which does seem way more luxurious than a CR-V.

Also fwiw I would stay away from the 2019 Ascent because it is the first year of the model and per car enthusiasts the first year models are always more prone to having problems.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would love to get one of those. Acura= nicer Honda.

The MDX is pretty roomy and has an OK 3rd row if you need one. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
    Lexus RX is my favorite car. I had one many years ago, went to the bigger Lexus and then the big Mercedes and I'm back in a Lexus RX. Yes the styling (that big grill in front) is not my thing either, but in all black it doesn't stand out too much. It is such an easy, pleasant car to drive. And now they have the long version with a 3rd row. I drive the hybrid and go the gas station like once a month. I would drive the Lexus at least as a point of comparison.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

The only issue I had with the MDX is the third row is pretty skimpy compared to its competitors.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have had 2 of them. A 2002 and a 2009. Great cars, for 2 kids. I wouldn’t want it if the 3rd row was regularly needed, but it’s perfect when you occasionally need to squeeze a few more in.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast