Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I feed my adult dog Natural Balance vegan formula. I refuse to contribute to the animal abuse and negative environmental impact of factory farming just to feed my dog. I don't buy into the whole grain free thing, unless there is a legitimate reason, like an allergy, though allergies to proteins are more common. My personal opinion on the FDA and dog heart condition is more related to a taurine deficiency. One of the diets mentioned was a kangaroo diet. None of the kangaroo diets I found had added taurine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    We are feeding V-Dog to our puppy. I liked Natural Balance, but for our puppy, the protein amount in V-Dog was higher than Natural Balance. I don't buy into the grain free thing either for the same reasons you mentioned.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    We are feeding V-Dog to our puppy. I liked Natural Balance, but for our puppy, the protein amount in V-Dog was higher than Natural Balance. I don't buy into the grain free thing either for the same reasons you mentioned.
    I have our puppy in a meat based kibble, because I couldn't find a suitable vegan formula for pupptin our budget. V-Dog is awesome, but way too expensive for us. I plan to switch her to Natural Balance when she's 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My chocolate lab eats Fromm Chicken A La Veg. I’ve fed it to her for almost her entire life. She’s 4 now. Fromm is a small family owned company and recalls are unlikely. She’s done well on the Chicken A La Veg and I’ve never had a problem with her and allergies or losing weight. Labs are always hungry though.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

When we got our dog he was eating whatever Costco has and he had horrible dandruff. So I tried him on grain free just to see what it did for his skin and "poof" no more dandruff. Now he is on Healthy Weight Blue Buffalo kibble and it is working very well for him. I get grain free treats too. He does get people food. And way too many treats.......
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I fed my dog Omas Pride Raw food. I believe raw diet is best for canines unless they have a health condition. In which case you can still use raw food but its more work to figure out proportions etc.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wanted to share this important article from Tufts Veterinary School (the top vet school in the country) re the serious health risks of grain-free and other boutique diets for dogs. http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/0...c-ingredients/

for Sandy Hook

My concern would be why the vet changed the food if the dog was doing fine on it.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

We love Fromm!!! Our dog eats the Fromm Gold. We just moved him from the regular Gold to the weight management one, since he is getting up in age. He has done amazingly well on both. He has been eating Fromm for about the last three years.

The customer service is so great!!! Call and ask questions if you have any!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I wanted to share this important article from Tufts Veterinary School (the top vet school in the country) re the serious health risks of grain-free and other boutique diets for dogs. http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/0...c-ingredients/
    Whole Dog Journal is very concerned about this research and the automatic conclusions that lack of grain is the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd just go with your gut (no pun intended) and feed a high quality food that agrees with her stomach, stool, skin and coat and not worry about whether or not it's grain free.

I also think kibble really isn't the best thing for dogs but we have to consider our own lifestyles and the convenience of feeding kibble so I wouldn't let that bother you too much.

What we do: we feed a high quality grain-free kibble that's not super high in protein (Wellness weight management - chicken and pea) because it works well for our elderly dog. I have nothing against grains - in fact this particular food used to not be grain-free but then they changed the formula, and she continued to do well on the new grain-free formula so we just stuck with it. We supplement with about a tablespoon of fresh sweet potato at every meal for her anal sac health (it has made a night and day difference!) and we supplement with fresh meat and veggies - basically whatever we cook for our family that's appropriate for her to eat, we give her a portion of. It's typically something like salmon with skin, rice (yes, a grain), and whatever veggie we're eating.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast