Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Platform tent camping and rain/humidity

DD1 is going to sleep away GS camp next week. They are in platform tens thank goodness, bc the forecast is for rain, thunderstorms and high humidity for the week. Any ideas to make this less miserable - I am picturing everything just being damp and sticky and them being unable to do any outdoor activities. And her coming home with like 357 string bracelets.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    DD1 is going to sleep away GS camp next week. They are in platform tens thank goodness, bc the forecast is for rain, thunderstorms and high humidity for the week. Any ideas to make this less miserable - I am picturing everything just being damp and sticky and them being unable to do any outdoor activities. And her coming home with like 357 string bracelets.

Good rain gear and waterproof shoes/boots. Extra shoes/boots. Twice as many socks as days. Send plenty of plastic bags of various sizes - gallon ziploc, grocery bags, kitchen trash bags. Some paracord to make a clothesline in the tent along with clothespins and carabiners. ETA: And as little cotton as you can - dri-fit type shirts/shorts and "performance" socks are essential in wet weather.

At our boy scout camp, nearly all the activity areas have some sort of shelter, even if it is just a canopy with picnic tables, so unless it is actively thundering, they go on as usual.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am guessing the camp staff have been through this before - did they provide a packing list? I am guessing it is really hot too? I would send a light raincoat, and one of those handheld fans for nighttime. Unless it is cold, I wouldn’t worry too much about things being waterproof, but it really depends on the climate.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Good rain gear and waterproof shoes/boots. Extra shoes/boots. Twice as many socks as days. Send plenty of plastic bags of various sizes - gallon ziploc, grocery bags, kitchen trash bags. Some paracord to make a clothesline in the tent along with clothespins and carabiners. ETA: And as little cotton as you can - dri-fit type shirts/shorts and "performance" socks are essential in wet weather....

If you like, OP, I have some packing lists from my outdoor overnight training last month that might be overkill but you are welcome to them if you like. Also, I cannot second the ZIP TOP plastic bags suggestion enough!

Send bug spray, but do NOT send the aerosol kind (this is actually forbidden at my Council's camps, per my trainers, as it degrades the tents/waterproofing.)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    ... I would send a light raincoat, and one of those handheld fans for nighttime. ....
    Definitely send a light raincoat or poncho.

For GS daycamp, DD carries a Coleman brand travel raincoat that comes in its own pouch because, to quote the handbook, "camp fun still happens in the rain!"
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post

At our boy scout camp, nearly all the activity areas have some sort of shelter, even if it is just a canopy with picnic tables, so unless it is actively thundering, they go on as usual.
    At our GS camps, this is the case as well - there are shelters, cabins, huts, and yurts. For a camp that also provides an overnight week, they have a centralized cafeteria kind of area as well.

Again, sizes of the areas may vary by Council, but they've got places where campers & staff can go to shelter during poor weather, and all GS Councils take safety Very Seriously!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle