Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would call around for a car service that offers car seats. I would wonder if Uber would show up with a harnessed seat or booster, if left at "carseat".
    eta- I am willing to accept the judgments here but we did take short taxi rides around Washington DC without a carseat when ds1 was little.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never understood why people think it's ok to skip carseats in cabs when they'd never consider it in an everyday vehicle. It isn't like cabs have some invisible protective bubble around them and I've ridden in a lot of cabs with terrible drivers over the years.

I'd get a really cheap carseat and plan to leave it there. Ask around and see if any of your friends have a seat outgrown or close to expiration or get a Cosco for $38. It's an expense but probably a drop in the bucket compared to your overall vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would call around for a car service that offers car seats. I would wonder if Uber would show up with a harnessed seat or booster, if left at "carseat".
    eta- I am willing to accept the judgments here but we did take short taxi rides around Washington DC without a carseat when ds1 was little.
    The Uber vehicles that provide car seats use these (forward facing harnessed seat): https://www.imminet.com/products/immi-go-seat/

Here's some more info about their use in Uber: https://www.uber.com/blog/new-york-c...erfamily-faqs/
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I wouldn’t skip a car seat. Either buy cheap or get an Uber with one.

We are in a similar-ish situation (cruise), but our youngest turns 5 two weeks after the cruise. He’s over 40” and 40 lbs, so I decided to get a second bubble bum. We are actually renting cars in a few different ports, and we don’t have space to bring a seat on the cruise. I’m hoping he will be okay with the bubble bum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I would ask yourself how you'd feel if you got into an accident during that 30 minute trip, however unlikely that may be.
    If your child was injured and it was preventable with proper restraints, would you feel horrible?
    I agree with the suggestion to find an almost expired seat (or even a recently expired one) and use it for the trip and dispose of it. I posted an expiring seat on the local moms' fb group when Target was doing their trade-in, and someone took it for exactly this purpose (she checked to make sure I wouldn't cut the straps before giving it away, and it wasn't actually expired yet so I was fine with her plan).

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Quick travel question-do I need a car seat?

I would bring my own seat. I would love to say I would trust an Uber with a car seat, but in all honesty I want to be installing it because I know it will be done right.

I had the Safegaurd Go version of the Immi seat linked above and it was great and super portable....we got it when Dd1 was 3. I will say there was a lot of head slump when she was sleeping, but most of the time for what we needed it for it worked great. I will say the install was pretty easy, but the top tether had to be tight for the headrest to work properly so that did take a little time to get it super correct. If I were to use an uber with that seat I would want to make sure it was super tight myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Bare minimum for a Bubble Bum is 4 years old and 40 pounds.

For a 2 year old yes, if you will be in a car of any type you need to have a car seat.

I don't know where you are going, but in some cities it is possible to get an Uber with a car seat. You should research your specific destination ahead of time. https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando/...tions/economy/
    This is the seat we bought and used all over Italy. Cabs and rental car for our youngest. It was easy to fold up and carry with a strap when we took trains and use when we were in cars. I sold it for almost what I paid on local mom buy sell group.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Thanks for all help!! This is why I love the BBB!

I have the immigo. It sounds like it would work out well space-wise for your needs, but just wanted to let you know that like it but don’t love it. It fold up small for travel but is VERY heavy. I had trouble managing it with all the other things I had to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngirl View Post
    I have the immigo. It sounds like it would work out well space-wise for your needs, but just wanted to let you know that like it but don’t love it. It fold up small for travel but is VERY heavy. I had trouble managing it with all the other things I had to carry.

We didn’t find it heavy (though we have lugged a huge Britax through the airport and installed on planes!) and loved that it folded up. We didn’t need it after the big trip and I’m not sure what is the actual listed weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2