Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default I知 starting to get a complex about swimming lessons

Just put the kids on swim team. In a year, they will be able to swim well. It really takes lots of time in the water to become a decent swimmer. Some kids just don稚 have the coordination until age 10 or so. We have several kids on our team with parents who were swimmers and many of their kids were slow to pick it up. Sometimes it takes time.

Your DD is too young for you to expect anything. My ds2 isn稚 very good and I spent lots of money on private lessons (through a swim team swim school, so high quality.). He痴 not coordinated enough yet.
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 08-01-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I can relate. I swam competitively, was a lifeguard and a certified swim instructor. Neither of my kids are natural swimmers. My oldest did one year of summer swim team and it was a disaster. As soon as they could do a very rough version of freestyle and tread water, i moved on. And it took a few years for either of them to get to that point. My son is required to swim four out of every 10 days at school, so he has improved a bit, but swimming is still not their thing.

Have you tried teaching them sidestroke or backstroke? If the issue is putting their head in the water, maybe learning a stroke that doesn’t require that will give then the confidence to keep learning.

Just keep introducing fun time in the water and hope that something clicks. DS was 8 before he could swim more than a few feet without sinking. Since he got stronger last summer we put him on the swim team this summer. He had practice 5 mornings per week and a meet every weekend and I could see the difference all that practice did.

I feel your frustration, with my kid, it was riding a bike. Took years of trying to teach and failing before it finally clicked at almost age 9. I was beside myself thinking such a basic life skill was going to go unlearned. Here's hoping swimming clicks soon for your kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2