Thread: Banff, Canada?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Banff, Canada?

I am traveling there for a work meeting tomorrow. I have an 8-5 meeting Thurs but Friday i may have time to do a bit of sight-seeing, depending on how much other work i have to do (lol). speaking of which, i may also want to go to a coffee shop or something with really nice view to do work for a few hours

any recommendations ? I will not have a car- I be taking a shuttle from Calgary airport to hotel.

i have never been to Banff ever but i've heard great stuff. also if any recs for international travel esp for work, i'm all ears. i haven't gone out of the country in ages. i got my passport.

i heard a raincoat is recommended..i saw it would have lows in the 40s but wondering if that is only at night or in early morning - wondering if a thin puffer jacket would be too much.

We went in late August 10ish years ago. I would take a fleece.
    If you can get a tour from Banff to go to the Columbia glacier and ride the sno-coaches, that would be my number one recommendation. Also Lake Louise just after sunrise if you can swing it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...k_Alberta.html

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We were just there yesterday. We had a car, but there are shuttle options throughout. Sunset is around 9:30pm right now so you have plenty of time to enjoy. Puffer jacket is too much - light fleece or rain jacket is sufficient unless you get cold very easily. Lake Louise is beautiful and if you’re at all able, you should go there. Many hiking trails, or you can just enjoy the lakefront. If you like hiking, Johnston Canyon has several options and is also a gorgeous place. The Banff Sulphur Mountain gondola is supposed to be amazing (we ran out of time for it). Can’t recall when you said you’d leave from there, but I think you could hit all of the above in a day, depending on how early you start and when you have to leave.

It’s an incredibly beautiful place...hope you enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call your cell provider, you may have coverage but, check. We have sprint and have the premium global plan, with unlimited calls, text and data at no charge, but the but they have to add it, and you need to do a few things with your phone.

Try to check out Moraine Lake, it's gorgeous. There will be tons of tourists, especially from Asia at this time of year. If you can, take a tour outside of town. We camped there when I was a kid and I've been there at the Banff springs hotel in the winter, it's a pretty area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks all! this was helpful!!

i did the gondola up Sulphur mountain this morning. it was pricey but worth it. the views were *breathtaking*. i need to come back next time with kids as it seemed very family-friendly attraction. Also kids (normally $32 ea) get in free with adult admission before 10am.

i also walked a few miles of Bow RIver Trail in the afternoon - GORGEOUS views!! the water is like amazing aqua blue, almost looks fake. my phone kept draining battery as i was constantly taking photos and videos

yesterday i went with several coworkers to have drinks at the Fairmont hotel...wow that hotel is something else.

i would have done more off-road hikes that were less touristy but today i was on my own (most coworkers flew home already) and i didn't want to hike by myself especially with possibility of running into a bear

i'm glad i didn't bring a puffer jacket - that would have been way too much, especially with all the walking. though i saw a ton of Asian and Indian tourists wearing them (that and heavy windbreaker-type jackets) i guess they are used to warmer climate? there were many times that even though it was 60 degrees and not sunny a t-shirt or tank top was enough after walking around so much. i was wearing my Lululemon Define jacket (kind of like a thin sporty and fitted sweatshirt) and it was enough in chilly times and i could just tie it around my waist when it got warm.

i really really liked how it was walker-friendly. it was such a welcome change from Texas which is so f---ing hot and not walkable at all (regardless of weather).

i was tempted to go to Lake Louise this morning as my coworker went showed me gorgeous photos and raved and raved about it but i heard that u had to go early in teh morning otherwise it gets super crowded and i wanted to sleep in today (late night yesterday bar-hopping with friends ). plus it was an hour away or so. then on the gondola shuttle the driver told me that Lake Moraine was better in her opinon - i'm sure they are both great. but will have to note for next time.. i really want to go again with my DH and kids, and i feel less anxiety over planning a trip if i've had time to scout things out etc.

oh and I went to Lululemon and spent some $ as everything was SO MUCH CHEAPER because it was in Canadian dollars (30% less i think?). OMG, i was like a kid in a candy store (LOL). I even got a few things on sale.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-03-2018 at 08:14 PM.