Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    So glad to hear the update. I hope she gets into the closer school.

Man, though, people here would LOOSE THEIR SH!* if that could happen!!!
    People would go nuts in our area too! As it is some people buy houses without checking the school district and end up in a district different than they thought. There is a road in our town that one side of the street attends our public schools and the other side of the street attends a neighboring larger public school district.

Our district closed 2 schools a few years back and moved people around and everyone went nuts. But busing is another issue. Here everyone gets busing as long as you are at least 1/2 mile from the school and no more than 15 miles away.

That's a positive update! Fingers crossed she'll still make it into your neighborhood school.

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post

Man, though, people here would LOOSE THEIR SH!* if that could happen!!!
    I thought the same thing! Our bell scheduled shifted to 10 minutes later, and people were up in arms. I cannot even imagine if parents were told their kids were being forced to go to a school five miles away. (Five miles sounds like no big deal, but here at least it is far for a place you have to go every single morning, afternoon, and for any special events.)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, any further updates since the last positive update? Been thinking of you.

Do you know if the district closes the waitlist when school starts? Or is it a waitlist that remains even during the school year, where she could potentially transfer mid year? Would you also consider transferring her for 7th grade and enrolling her in your preferred school for 7th? Would you be able to pretty much guarantee her a spot at your preferred school for 7th since you would be enrolling her on time?

Default UPDATED District "Diverted" DD to School over 5 Miles Away!

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    Interesting. We live in a district 2 cities over from the OP, and I know they're calling families all year long. Kids move in and out of schools all the time. Many of our schools have long waitlists. Maybe OP and I just live in districts where it's a case of too many students, not enough space!
    If there is a spot, a new to the area student can enroll, but the actual waitlist of kids already in the district are out of luck. Hope she gets a spot. Sounds promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    If there is a spot, a new to the area student can enroll, but the actual waitlist of kids already in the district are out of luck. Hope she gets a spot. Sounds promising.

Our area works the opposite. Waitlist kids would trump new to area kids.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Our area works the opposite. Waitlist kids would trump new to area kids.
    I think they do it like this to just have the kids in the district stay where they are once school starts. But I would be upset to not get a spot and be in neighborhood and have someone new get one.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    No, apparently every student enrolled is a resident in the attendance zone. That was our first question, too.
    Late this this thread, and hopefully things work out. But this gives me pause. I wonder how many really are residents, and how many are using a relative/friend/etc address instead? It's horrible, but people do it all the time in my school district. I was in a similar situation a few years back and was seriously going to snitch on someone ( I knew for a fact that the mother was using someone else's address) if a space didn't open up for my daughter. We got a spot the weekend before. But ugh. So infuriating

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    OP, any further updates since the last positive update? Been thinking of you.

Do you know if the district closes the waitlist when school starts? Or is it a waitlist that remains even during the school year, where she could potentially transfer mid year? Would you also consider transferring her for 7th grade and enrolling her in your preferred school for 7th? Would you be able to pretty much guarantee her a spot at your preferred school for 7th since you would be enrolling her on time?
    She started at the "other" school, not our home school, on Monday. Turns out one of her classmates lives around the corner. So at least we have the potential for a carpool. She loves it now.

I went to the school board meeting last night to make my views known. My husband still insists they're not following their written contract (and he may be right).

The waitlists stay open all year. She could transfer at any time if a spot opened up at our home school. Would she want to? Totally different question. But I hate having to drive to school.

Middle school starts in 6th grade (so next year). I don't anticipate any problems getting her into our neighborhood middle school.

Thanks for asking about her.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Late this this thread, and hopefully things work out. But this gives me pause. I wonder how many really are residents, and how many are using a relative/friend/etc address instead? It's horrible, but people do it all the time in my school district. I was in a similar situation a few years back and was seriously going to snitch on someone ( I knew for a fact that the mother was using someone else's address) if a space didn't open up for my daughter. We got a spot the weekend before. But ugh. So infuriating
    I think they actually are, though, except one teacher's child. The district needs to look at its attendance maps. They have too many neighborhoods zoned to this school now. As the homes "turn over" and more families move in, this problem only will get worse. Our neighborhood was built for retirees, but that's not necessarily who lives here now.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5