Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default UPDATED District "Diverted" DD to School over 5 Miles Away!

**Update in Post 37.**

We just moved to northern CA, and our house is within walking distance of all three schools (elem, middle, high). They also have a bus service (to relieve traffic congestion), and my DD was so excited to get to ride the bus.

Well, I got the call today that the school is full. Instead of diverting her to the next closest school, which I was told was a possibility, they sent her to a school over 5 miles away. It doesn't even feed to the same middle school! So she's been uprooted from all her friends, going to a new school for just one year (5th--our previous district was K-6), and next year she gets to be uprooted again and go to a middle school different from the friends she'll make this year.

Has anyone been through anything similar? Any tips or tricks? My husband is telling me to "fix this" and seems to think I have the power to change it. I think he's wrong.

But is there any action I can take to get her into our neighborhood school? (There is no state law about this.)

If anyone is in SRVUSD and knows what strings to pull, please PM me!
    Last edited by sariana; 08-08-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is a bummer!! Is there any kind of wait list for your neighborhood school that way if anyone doesn't show up she could enroll?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    That is a bummer!! Is there any kind of wait list for your neighborhood school that way if anyone doesn't show up she could enroll?
    Yes, there is a wait list, and I requested that she be on it.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have no advice but just wanted to say that yeah, that sucks pretty bad and I'd be upset as well.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

By law, are they required to provide transportation for her to the new school? Are they bussing her? If not, I might press that issue hard, explaining that your work situation prevents you from transporting her. I would think they might be forced to bus her and then it would be a bigger nuisance for them to have her at the other school.

Is there a before school care program you could enroll her in that would force their hand, because that program is bussed to X school. Even if you don’t actually need the care in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you put her in a private school for the year?

Is there an appeal process? Sometimes you can get the result you want by bring sufficiently noisy.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you at least call and inquire about getting her into a school that will feed into her middle school next year. I would get on as many wait lists as you need to!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When does school start, and do you also know her exact waitlist position? If lucky, she may get in off the waitlist before school starts. There seems to be always students that move, switch schools, have[ a change of plans, etc right before school starts. So I wouldn't lose hope completely.

We're in a Nor Cal public school district as well. And we had a situation in elementary where renovations were being made to our zone school. They had to do a lottery for the zone residents entering for kinder that year because of the limited space due to to the ongoing renovations. DD1 didn't get a kinder spot at the zone school from the lottery (just a bad waitlist number), was assigned to another school further away, and all relocated zone students were promised to be moved back to the zone school in two years AFTER the renovations would be complete. All a big hassle and a nuisance. Ultimately, we moved to a different nearby district and didn't go through all that. But in our current and prior public district schools, if your zone school is full at the time you register, then you are out of luck and get placed in another school in the same district. I believe if you register on time and before the deadline, everyone does get their spot in their zone school. But if you register late or after the fact, you are at the mercy of whether any spaces are left in your zone school.

Good luck and hopefully she gets in off the waitlist soon!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Is there an appeal process? Sometimes you can get the result you want by bring sufficiently noisy.
    That’s what I’m thinking. I feel like there are so many variables here. Do you have any friends familiar with how the school district works?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast